99 528i drivetrain for swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 528i drivetrain for swap?

Sorry Kinda a newb to the forums but this is my 4th E30 and I think Im ready for a swap. I've got an 89 325i with a blown head and auto trans and would like to convert to 5 speed and a 24v. I found a M52TUB28 with manual transmission, driveshaft, diff and the engine harness and ecu from a 99 528i for cheap. Would this engine/trans combo swap into an E30 easily? would I still need the E34 oil pan? any help would be much appreciated. Ive been looking online on the forums and haven't seen anything on an E39 M5X swap.

The M52TU is not a popular swap because there are fewer options for flashing the DME so it can run in the E30.

The transmission is still worth getting. The driveshaft, diff, and all engine components are not.

You will need the E34 oil pan no matter what M/S5x engine you put in.

Comment

thanks for the info, very much appreciated!

Comment

Sure thing. Now if you find a full E36 drivetrain (M52B28 or S52B32), that's the one to get.

I see you are in California. Research BAR-legal swaps. Though I loved California while I was there, I do not envy the hoops car enthusiasts have to jump through there!

Comment

Yeah, I'm stationed out here for now, but I'm originally from Indiana and that's where my baby will be Registered! ;) It'll still hafta get smogged though due to some regulations for the base but o' well...cant wait to get deep into a swap!

Comment

Working...
          X