FS: 1986 320i Euro E30 - 87k Miles - Price Drop to 10k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: 1986 320i Euro E30 - 87k Miles - Price Drop to 10k

Up for sale is my time-capsule 1986 Euro-spec e30 320i. This is a rare and unique car in the US and I’m looking for an experienced e30 enthusiast who wants something nobody else has and is willing to be the next steward of this well-cared-for example. Asking $10,000

Photos: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0xGDdyTvGqUAxF

It is a four-door model in Alpinweiß (alpine white) over Pacificblau (pacific blue) Houndstooth Cloth in excellent condition, with 87,000 original miles…yes only 87,000! This car was owned by the proverbial “little old lady” who only took it to the grocery store and occasional local outings, for almost 30 years, with the first few years in Seattle, and the rest here in San Francisco. The story is that her brother bought it for her second-hand while he was in the military in Germany in the late 1980s and brought it over. The car retains it’s original Washington State door sill import plate as well as California BAR certification stickers and is fully smog-compliant for CA. Including me, this car has had a total of three owners across it’s 33 years, with ~29 of them being with the same owner. While it has spent time in Seattle, this car has been primarily garaged its entire life and has NO RUST. The car appears to have been consistently well-maintained and even repaired (including paint) regularly throughout it’s life whenever needed.

Being a euro-spec model, the specifications of this car are somewhat unique and while a comprehensive-as-possible list is below, some of it’s features include a very rare right-mirror delete, blue houndstooth interior, power sunroof, steel wheels with correct hubcaps, analog clock, & German check panel. I would also restore the headlights back to the original Euro Spec. Unfortunately I just haven’t had time to do these modifications.

While the car is in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition, there are a few tasteful modifications I’ve considered which would be sympathetic to the vehicle, but improve it’s overall driving character. These include adding rear disc brakes, rear sway bar and a manual transmission, which are all easily obtainable from any donor US-spec 325i/e. The 2.0 inline six is a surprisingly sprightly little engine and would do well mated to a 5-speed manual.

Overall the car is a joy to drive, reliable, great to look at, and a lot of fun. It would make both a great daily driver or collector’s weekend show car. I’m asking $12,500. Please note that the price reflects the condition, low mileage, unique specification, and rarity of this model, so please no low-ball offers. Full specifications and details follow…

Specifications & Condition:

Exterior - Alpinweiß (Alpine White)
    Interior - Pacificblau (Pacific Blue) Houndstooth Cloth
    Engine - Fuel Injected (Bosch L-Jet) BMW m20b20 2.0 Liter Inline 6 Cylinder (127 HP @ 6000 rpm & 128 ft lbs @ 4000 rpm)
    Transmission - ZF 4HP22 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive
    Differential - 3.64 open small-case (168mm)
    Mileage - 87,000 original miles
    Exterior Condition - 8/10
    NO RUST
    A couple of very minor dings
    A few spots of previous paint repair where clear coat is starting to become visible at fringes

Interior Condition - 9.5/10
    Only known issue is one faded spot the size of a silver-dollar on the passenger seat
    No other fading
    No Cuts/Tears
    Rear Parcel Shelf is NOT faded
    Crack-free Dash

Mechanical Condition - 9.5/10
    Working Heat & A/C
    Original Manual, Toolkit, Jack & Spare Tire present & excellent condition
    Federalized, CA BAR Certified, & California Smog-Compliant
    US-Spec Speedometer (Euro Tachometer/Econometer)

Features:

Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Power Sunroof
    Euro Analog Clock
    Right Door Mirror Delete (with rare correct delete-plate)
    Euro Pacificblau (Pacific Blue) Houndstooth Cloth comfort interior in excellent condition
    Euro 14x5.5 Steel Wheels with Original Hubcaps in 10/10 condition + near-unused spare with original tire
    Alpine 7163 Stereo Head Unit & Upgraded Clarion 620 Rear Speakers (rear parcel shelf isn’t hacked)
    German-Language Check-Panel & Controls
    Rear Drum Brakes
    No Rear Sway Bar
    Small-Case Differential

Work Done in last 2 years:

New Billstein shocks all around (4/2019) at Mileage 87,124
    New tail light, trunk and hood seals (8/2017) at Mileage 86,500
    New radiator, water pump and coolant hoses (7/2017) at Mileage 86,321
    New transmission pan gasket, shift shaft seal and selector rod seal (7/2017) at Mileage 86,121
    New Timing Belt, Crank Seal and Cam Seals (7/2017) at Mileage 86,197
    Valve Adjustment (7/2017) at Mileage 86,221
    New Valve Cover Gasket, Rocker Shaft plug and Breather Hose (7/2017) at Mileage 86,221
    New Thermostat (7/2017) at Mileage 86,221
    Professionally Repaired “old-lady dings” from previous owner
    Full Cleaning and Detailing
    New Euro Bumpers installed
    New Front and Rear Windscreen Lock-Strips in original Chrome/Aluminum

Known-Issues:

Engine Temp Gauge doesn’t work (common problem on e30 instrument clusters, engine does NOT overheat)
    Rear Windows intermittently inoperable
    US Headlights installed during federalization, but retains original Euro Grilles
    One small faded spot in the otherwise pristine houndstooth upholstery located on the passenger seat (see photos)
    Radio Antenna is aftermarket, but correctly-installed (manual telescoping)
    Idle Air Control Circuit has cracked vacuum hose — currently taped and functioning fine
    Car very occasionally mis-fires while idling and at fully-warm temperature — I haven’t been able to diagnose as it’s happened so infrequently
    Attached Files
    Last edited by halogencat; 08-02-2019, 09:24 AM. Reason: To update price.

Saw this car a while back in San Francisco. Can definitely vouch for the car being clean. Glws!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X