No announcement yet.

C33 AUX input and Installation Megathread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool right up. Looking forward to the results. I can't stand the way most aftermarket head units look. Even the pioneer I currently have, which I used to think wasn't too bad is getting on my nerves.

Did BMW ever do an in dash cd player that would go in our cars and look decent?
    Matt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alpinaclone View Post
      The CD43. Expect to pay quite a bit for one that's DIN sized, though.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by alpinaclone View Post
        Cool right up. Looking forward to the results. I can't stand the way most aftermarket head units look. Even the pioneer I currently have, which I used to think wasn't too bad is getting on my nerves.

Yeah, but as mentioned, it's expensive and doesn't play MP3's.

The HU in my sig is decent looking for aftermarket. It's Black with white /controls letters, and the letters illuminate, just like the stock unit and the colors are adjustable, so I can match the BMW amber.

It does not mount flush with the dash, but it looks good and as mentioned, basic black with white control buttons/lettering.
        sigpic
        1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
        Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
        Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm not sure which direction I want to go yet. I have a bunch of mp3s etc. but still have a huge number of CDs as well.
          Matt

sigpic

Comment

I have contemplated running an Aux'd C33 HU and wiring the car for a six-disc Alpine/BMW changer mounted in the trunk. Would this be stupidly hard to do?
            - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
            E36 325i sedan
            E30 325i sedan
            Volvo 945T

Comment

Originally posted by TDE30 View Post
              I have contemplated running an Aux'd C33 HU and wiring the car for a six-disc Alpine/BMW changer mounted in the trunk. Would this be stupidly hard to do?
              No, Trey, it would not.

In fact, inside the stock CD changer cable is the 4 audio wires. You could very easily use a 4PDT relay to switch the audio signal between the aux input and the changer. Nothing but a toggle switch is needed to control the relay, or you could be a real smartass and use a chassis mount 1/8" jack with switching in it...so you would just plug the portable in to make it work.

The same setup would work on a CD43 as well, or even the stock E30 deck/changer...which is what James will have on his simulator, even if I have to break into his damn house to do it.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

^ Hmm, that's good to know. I have the Alpine changer at the moment, but I don't know if I have any of the required wiring. It might be something I could source from an E32 or E34 at Pull-A-Part.
                - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
                E36 325i sedan
                E30 325i sedan
                Volvo 945T

Comment

Allright, I have found out when the school's machine shop will open - next Monday. I need to drill holes for the AUX jacks, and countersink them, since the back plate is a bit too thick. Will update with pics and writeup.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

UPDATE

I got the holes drilled and countersunk. Pics coming up this evening, along with my test rig.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Now I understand...

Comment

wat?
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                          wat?

The harness at the yard. I had not seen this thread.

Comment

Oh, yeah. I'm assembling a bag of little multi-purpose tools for such trips.

I think, when I pull the HU I have in it now, I can set it up as a crappy-looking outside stereo that people won't bother trying to steal.
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              Oh, yeah. I'm assembling a bag of little multi-purpose tools for such trips.

I think, when I pull the HU I have in it now, I can set it up as a crappy-looking outside stereo that people won't bother trying to steal.

Revisions to my yard bag have begun as well.

Comment

ZOAMG! It are updated!
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X