Track Day Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
    Looks amazing. Definetly a nice track car.

What suspension do you plan on running?
    It is already on the car...The front end will drop when engine gets put in and I still have the rubber in the rear until I can corner wieght it
    ST sways 22mm F 19mm R, Treehouse eyeballs, Bilstein Sports, H&R Race springs,Mason Aluminum strut braces F&R, IE adjustable top mounts, IE rear aluminum shock mounts, IE aluminum sway mounts, Turner Motorsports steel reinforcement kits F&R, AKG subframe & TA 75D bushings, AKG Aluminum diff bushing, SS brake lines, e36 M3 3 turn steering rack, wheel stud kit....and a lot more I cant remember
    Last edited by Dyno4mance; 01-16-2009, 05:53 AM.

2.7L M20 11:1 COMP 195 whp Dyno Dynamics 2380lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
      just an observation, your load paths aren't that great.

diagonal bar from the bottom of the passenger side b-pillar to the top of the drivers side b-pillar should intersect where the other two tubes meed.

Same for the diagonal that goes from the bottom of the driverside c-pillar to the top of the passenger side b-pillar... looks good at the c-pillar end, but should be moved over on the b-pillar side.

your horizontal bar should be moved down about an inch to meet up with the door braces.

other than that the car looks like it will be fun! I'd recomend a 3.73lsd for a rear end, I love it in my car with the M20.
      Points taken on the cage I thought the same thing but unfortunately it is in now!...
      My choice with the lsd was deliberate as I am building the car to compete in a hill climb first and a 4.1 will be better on the hill I will compete on

Comment

Originally posted by Knockenwelle View Post
        Looks familiar!
        I am hoping it is reliable enough to drive from GA to AZ....but I promise you I have not done it yet....:p

Comment

I meant the build and style. Mine's similar, but I haven't posted up more than tidbits of the build. Don't have a cage yet, though.
          sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

Just a quick update on the build....engine got a few more bits....

Comment

Is there anything special about the spacing on the alternator pulley, or will a generic one-groove pulley work? I think I nuked my alternator bearings at the track last Saturday...

Nice work!
              sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

If i may make a suggestion in regards to the oil filter. Spin the housing 180 degrees. You will have to use a E30 M3 (Mahle filter model OC-25) oil filter with the adapter plate you have. I have done it both ways and on cars with headers or a turbo it makes it a lot easier to change the filter. I have also found a little lower oil temp from one race car to the other.

///PNW E30 Crew
                Bryce
                '87 325is.....Pro3?....One day!
                '91 318is Daily drive with a bit of attitude

Comment

Originally posted by 325is///M-tech View Post
                  If i may make a suggestion in regards to the oil filter. Spin the housing 180 degrees. You will have to use a E30 M3 (Mahle filter model OC-25) oil filter with the adapter plate you have. I have done it both ways and on cars with headers or a turbo it makes it a lot easier to change the filter. I have also found a little lower oil temp from one race car to the other.

I have seen that done else where on this forum...
                  Is there not locating lugs on the backside of the filter block
                  How does it locate if you flip it 180....will it not disrupt correct flow through the filter?
                  By the way, what headers are they?
                  Last edited by Dyno4mance; 02-05-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Knockenwelle View Post
                    Is there anything special about the spacing on the alternator pulley, or will a generic one-groove pulley work? I think I nuked my alternator bearings at the track last Saturday...

Nice work!
                    Mine is an IE aluminum alternator pulley that underdrives the alternator....It looks like it lines up perfectly
                    although it is yet untried.....maybe your belt was too tight?

Comment

The last race was a 12 hour enduro and i had absolutely zero oiling issues. there are no locating posts but those are basically just to index it.

It is running a Supersprint header.
                      ///PNW E30 Crew
                      Bryce

Comment

The last race was a 12 hour enduro and i had absolutely zero oiling issues. there are no locating posts but those are basically just to index it.

It is running a Supersprint header.
                        Thanks....I will try that
                        Are supersprint headers available? or are they unobtainium?
                        I was looking at the bav auto headers on mine unless anyone can convince me otherwise
                        Thanks for your responses

Comment

BMP Design sell the Supersprint header and they are available. If you wanted to go the cheaper rout Ireland sells a replica of the Supersprint but the fitment is a get what you pay for scenario not bad but could have some primary alignment issues.
                          ///PNW E30 Crew
                          Bryce

Comment

Bumpski

Comment

I thought this car looked familiar!

Comment

Nice action shot ....any more pics? details of the build etc. what wheels and tires are you running?....what events apart from endurance racing do you do?
                                Engine management? dyno graphs?.....please spill the beans...thanks
                                HaHa......The reason I bumped the thread is because I was showing someone how to post images....sorry anyone that was offended by it

Comment

Working...
                                X