No announcement yet.

S54 Widebody e30 race car build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys! Comments are really appreciated.

@RainierHooker The e12 was a spare chassis used by our late great race drvier Tony Vianna (he raced anything with a BMW badge. 530MLI, 745i, 333i, M535i). This was his spare chassis from one of the classes he raced in. It was a M30b35 originally but it currently runs a S38b38 sadly though they are constantly struggling with cooling issues.

@dk The series is called Super Saloons. My father likes to call it the death bed of race cars. It's because all of our once great and mighty Nationally sponsored race cars seem to end up running in this series. Not that it's a bad thing as we have an incredible mix of cars from old school GT cars (like that blue Chevrolet/Holden/Opel depending where you come from is currently the car to beat. It's blindingly fast) Even the SCCA GT1 type cars can't keep up with him. Then there are some of our fresh of the South African Touring Car series, e90 WTCC chassied 330i and Scoobies.

Gladly the BMW contingent seems to be growing with each meeting, with at least 2 E46 M3's coming out to race, an E46 330i Touring Car and a couple old school e30's all coming out for the 1st time next year.

@mcr driver Yeah we went with the trunklid because I figured it might provide even the tiniest amount of downforce in the rear, but came to my senses and we are going to pickup a single element wing and mount it in the near future.

Well we have 3 reasons on using the 5spd box. We had it from the old S50b30euro, Who needs 6 gears? :P, and also it's lighter than the 6speed. I even contemplated using the Getrag 260 as it even lighter, but the ratio's in the ZF are much better.

Comment

ahh i see, to my knowledge didn't the late model Z3M have a 5speed unit hooked up to the S54? is that the tranny you are sourcing?

Comment

Yeah, well we onlt got the S54 powered AC Schnitzer M Coupe. The engine we bought originally was the s50b30euro with the ZF 5 spd box, so that is the tranny we are using.

Comment

Hierdie draad moet alles in Afrikaans wees.

I know, Google translater probably mangled that.

Cool build for sure. I'm enjoying the pics.
          1987 E30 325is
          1999 E46 323i
          RIP 1994 E32 740iL
          oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Ahhh hope it all fits well i wanna see this beast tearing up tracks soon :D

Comment

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
              Hierdie draad moet alles in Afrikaans wees.

I know, Google translater probably mangled that.

Cool build for sure. I'm enjoying the pics.
              Haha!

english translation: This wire must all be in afrikaans. LOL.

Useless information Gaaren is thread.

@mcr_driver Yeah So do I. I'm having withdrawl symptoms it's been a long time coming.

On another note, I love your sig! I'm going to be sending it to my father friend who races a Carrera 993 RSR ex LM car. He is the guy I most want to thrash as he has a typcial Porsche driver attitude with me, and and 23yr old 323i (thats whats the WIN plates says :P) is going to do it.

----------------------------

Anyways onto a bit of an update.

Ran into a bit of a problem yesterday. I fitted the pedal box and found that the upward foot protection went through one of the pedal box mounting points. Not too bad though as it is the tab on the far right. So I went about cutting the tab off and will re drill a new mounting hole on the box and weld a lug onto the body.

The next slightly bigger problem we face is that the foot protection up tube is rather close to the accelerator pedal although we can still get the pedal in there. I figured as we have to take it anyways to repaint the interior of the car we should modify it so the pedals are in a more ergonomic position, AKA not shifted to the right as is the case in all e30's.

Now the accelerator pedal is pretty easy to figure out as the metal is rather flexible. The brake and clutch pedal are of a much thicker gauge steel and will require some heating and bending.

Unless of course someone can think of a better solution? Other than going to an after market pedal box. That's out of the question for now.

Comment

Amazing. Subscribed.
                Originally posted by LJ851
                I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
                  @dk The series is called Super Saloons. My father likes to call it the death bed of race cars. It's because all of our once great and mighty Nationally sponsored race cars seem to end up running in this series. Not that it's a bad thing as we have an incredible mix of cars from old school GT cars (like that blue Chevrolet/Holden/Opel depending where you come from is currently the car to beat. It's blindingly fast) Even the SCCA GT1 type cars can't keep up with him. Then there are some of our fresh of the South African Touring Car series, e90 WTCC chassied 330i and Scoobies.
                  that sounds fucking awesome.

unfortunately this:

http://www.google.com/search?q="Super+Saloon"+south+africa+torrent

didn't return much that seemed useful.

if you know of anywhere that hosts or torrents video coverage of this series (is it a big enough deal there? do they have it on TV?), i'd spend a few hours watching.

also, this is a beautiful build and those SSRs are the most baller wheels the e30 world is ever going to see.
                  past:
                  1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:
                  1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

We do have highlighted coverage of the series but it seems that no one has actually put anything up on the net.

I know there is some in car footage from that Black Turbo M Powered E36. I just can't seem to find where my friend hosted it.

--------------------------------------

Onto another update. I fitted the accelerator pedal and it clears the foot protection by mere millimeters. I'm thinking that I will just heat and bend the accelerator pedal arm and make a new mounting point on the floor I only need to move it 20mm or so. That would actually make the hell toeing easier although that never bugged me in my old track car.

Comment

If you find the vid coverage, please post it. I love watching all forms of e30 make their way around a track.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                      Originally posted by DTM190
                      "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by dk View Post
                        that sounds fucking awesome.

unfortunately this:

http://www.google.com/search?q="Super+Saloon"+south+africa+torrent

didn't return much that seemed useful.

if you know of anywhere that hosts or torrents video coverage of this series (is it a big enough deal there? do they have it on TV?), i'd spend a few hours watching.

also, this is a beautiful build and those SSRs are the most baller wheels the e30 world is ever going to see.
                        I managed to find some footage of my friend racing in the Co Sanctioned Super Saloons 2hr enduro.

He posts on this forum too and his build is somewhere in the track section. Sadly he had an abrupt end to his day, with some suspension failure. The bolts on the bottom of the M3 strut came adrift.

This is mainly trackside video. Includes footage of the damaged car.

Comment

Can't wait to see it done!!

'89 325i - Totaled... good bye my love...
                          '87 327i budget stroker - SOLD!!!
                          '92 240sx - ca18det powered drift toy - SOLD!!!
                          '89 325i - coupe - NEW daily
                          '96 Audi A6 Quattro- Grocery getter/baby hauler
                          '99 Busa - weekend wheelie monster

Comment

what happened there a control arm gave out?? bummer

bummer on the gas pedal.. is it really in your way. have you tried sitting there. I've always disliked the original pedal setup (specially the gas pelda) on the e30. time for floor mounts ; /
                            No more e30s for me.
                            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                            91 BMW 325i [sold]
                            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

@slo325i Hey man do you have anymore pictures of that vent setup on your hood?

@etxxz The 4 bolts on the bottom of the M3 strut sheared separating the strut from the control and steering arm mounting points.

Comment

love the build.

Where did you get the csl boot?
                                My LS1 swap thread:
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=160030

Comment

Working...
                                X