Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do E30 Touring’s retain classic E30 handling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do E30 Touring’s retain classic E30 handling?

With better springs and shocks, what do you think?

Would you say they handle about as well as a regular E30?

Still fun and sporty?

Or is it a more boat-like experience?

Considering trading from a sedan to a Touring. Don’t want to lose the fun handling in the canyons though.

I haven't driven one, but I can't see why they wouldn't handle well - the extra weight in the rear would probably bring the touring closer to 50/50 where as most e30s are closer to 54F/46R.

There's a video floating around the web of an e30 touring with an M20 stroker on sticky rubber beating a stock 335i on the track.
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
      I haven't driven one, but I can't see why they wouldn't handle well - the extra weight in the rear would probably bring the touring closer to 50/50 where as most e30s are closer to 54F/46R.

There's a video floating around the web of an e30 touring with an M20 stroker on sticky rubber beating a stock 335i on the track.
      https://youtu.be/iBkObmAPvs0

Fantastic video
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

The weight is hardly any different, and it's all in the back. Yeah, I don't know why it wouldn't be the same. But I've never driven one either.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You guys make a lot of sense. Sounds logical.

Comment

I have owned a vert, coupe, and a touring. They all feel the same in general minus the weight and where they are placed changing the feel just slightly
            Originally posted by blunttech
            Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
            :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
              Came in here to post this

E46t

Comment

I have owned several E30s 3 325es, one M3 and one 325ix touring. All drastically different cars but all of them were super fun to drive. The touring suffered from a high center of gravity due to stock ix suspension. Nothing that can't be fixed.

Comment

Touring creaks and flexes a little more, but it's really not noticeably worse than a sedan from a driver feel perspective. The back seats are also noisy if you're really driving fast on a track, since they aren't mounted to anything rigid.

I haven't noticed the weight, it still feels like a relatively light car. Similarly optioned out sedans of the same year are maybe 100lbs lighter, and that's a big maybe. I can't really tell I'm driving a touring until I look in my rear view mirror.

Comment

I've owned a 325is, and 2 318is (all coupes) and now a 325i touring. The thing that was the most noticeable to me is the increased chassis flex on the touring but it's not all that bad. Despite that, the car handles amazingly well and it's still practical. Currently my car has KW v3, ST sway bars, and all the subframe reinforced plus bushings replaced. I've also added LSD. It's incredible how well and fun the car is now (I own a modified miata too) and i drive the e30 more. I might be a bit biased here but it's tough to find a car that you can feel so much on the front axle and still be able to make a trip to Ikea with new furniture.

I would like to add a bit more chassis bracing eventually but that's something to be done down the road.

I've also driven a s52 swapped e30 touring and got pulled over but luckily got away with a warning because it's a family station wagon ??. Regardless, I like myself a subtle car but it does get a bit of attention from here and there.

Fun fact: The 325i touring is actually 50/50 weight distributed at 1180kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                      One more!
                      This movie is about Jason Cammisa (@jasoncammisa) and his story with BMW Group Classic.

Comment

Interesting. What kind of bracing could you add to a Touring?

And, do all 325i Touring’s have ABS?

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                          Interesting. What kind of bracing could you add to a Touring?

And, do all 325i Touring’s have ABS?
                          Not much without sacrificing utility, and unless your suspension will be very stiff you probably won't notice the chassis flex too much, although it is there when pushed.

Probably not, haven't had an M20B25, but my 88 324td didn't, my 89 320 didn't, and 1/2 90ish 318i tourings did. I suspect it remained optional in ROW markets, whereas it was standard in the US from 87 on.

Comment

For what its worth, my '89 build year 325i touring had every option, including ABS, except for cruise control.

Comment

I’m looking at an ‘88 that has ABS, it turns out, which I think is a nice to have option, even if it is an older version.

The chassis flex thing is interesting. Some people seem to think it’s non-existent even on super-stiff suspension. Others mention noodles.

I guess I just don’t want it be an annoyingly creaky thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X