Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabrio subwoofer question>

OK, heres an E30 what if:
    As most of you know the E30 cabrio guys are faced with a dilemna. If you have a subwoofer "system" you must either
    A: put the box in the trunk
    B: put it in the backseat
    My question is this , since the cabrio has a double walled
    trunk compartment would it hurt to (ouch) cut one or two holes in this double walled bulkhead? I know this was designed this way to compensate for the lack of roof strengtheners....but the holes i'm talking about could be circular 4 or 5" in diameter.
    Man i'm sick of knowing i have 1000 watts of punch in the back and 2 12" speakers and not being able to feel the full potential of my system !!!!! If you put the box in the passenger compartment you lose cargo and passenger space. And if you have your box in the trunk it only sounds half decent if the top is up.......if its hot and the top goes down so does your ability to hear your system.
    Correct me if i'm wrong but circular "porting" of this bulkhead certainly isn't as bad as taking a 12x12 section of this wall completely out . As i'm looking at it , it would be kinda like porting a sub box. Theres already an almost airtight box- the trunk.
    If this was done wouldn't you be able to unleash unused potential from your system, it would sound alot better if there was sound actually travelling from the box into the actual passenger compartment, correct ?
    Somebody help me out here.......input and opinions welcome please. I haven't done this yet so i'm looking for some input.
    :pimp:

I'll let StereoInstaller chime in on this one, but, I was thinking about your idea, maybe you could fab up some kind of tunnel to go between the walls that hooks up directly to a ported sub box? so the sub box ports directly into the cabin or something?

I dunno...
    R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

yeah yeah thats along the lines i was thinkin .....maybe some
      6" pvc tubing to bridge the gap..... good good keep talkin ...

Comment

Best? Pull those useless back seats and get silly.

Next, put a box inbetween the back seat and the trunk.

Doesn't one of those unbolt? Either the trunk side or the back seat side, IIRC. I know I have done it, but I used to smoke a TON of weed.

Third, port through like you are talking. Bandpass with all of the associated math is best, otherwise just 3 or 4 chunks of 6" PVC, cardboard, whatever.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

ill tell you what i want to do and first of all no i do not think either of the double walls unbolt

ok my plan
          make a box to fit under the topboot with the sub point up front, cut a hole in both walls and have some tubing welded in around the hole to help strengthen it back up, then i would gut the middle section of the back seet and make an extended seat belt holder thing with about a 6" rectangular port and i would connect the port to the front of the box using some mdf basically itd be like putting a sub in the ski hole but itd be set back and down some, this probly wasnt the best way to describe it but i think you can get my drift

edit:kinda like this, and i know this isnt a vert but its the best pic of a back seat i could find that was the m3/cab style, and there would be more to it than just a gaping hole
          Last edited by NC325iC; 04-12-2007, 06:20 PM.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I still like yanking the entire back seat and building a big ass tub for 3 12" subs or some stupid shit...

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

yeah thatd work cepts i likes to keep it kleenzzzz
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                yeah thatd work cepts i likes to keep it kleenzzzz
                ^^^^^^^^^^^me 3 , plus my kids are transported in this vehicle alot so nixing the back seat is out.... i think i'll research the whole
                porting concept and then i guess just actually trying it someday when i find the time and energy!!!!
                And if thatr doesn't fit my fancy theres not really a big loss
                like i said its not like i'm removing the whole rear bulkhead
                and with the seat on one side and the trunk liner on the other these ports would not be visible unless you knew they were there .
                thanks guys i'll let you know how it turns out IF i actually go thru with it .:pimp:

Comment

build ports from box to the rear deck, get soem more boom in your cabin

Comment

any more thoughts on this subject? I too am having the same challenge
                    sigpic
                    Winner - Best Engine, Bimmercruise 2010
                    Runner Up - e30 Wild Category, Bimmercruise 2010
                    Winner - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest 2011
                    Winner - e30 Wild Category, Bimmercruise 2011
                    www.vertnation.com
                    My car in Berlin Klassic promo video

Comment

I mounted an underseat powered sub from Crutchfield- better than nothing....

Comment

Yeah let me know wat you guys come up with. Im finding the same problem, but no one is sitting in the back seats!
                        "Driving anything else would be uncivilised"

Comment

When I had my vert, I always wanted to cut the cabin side of the bracing/fire wall out, build a box to fit, and weld it back in... If you're a good enough welder I dont think it'd mess with chasis strenth all that much, plus you could always re-inforce it.

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                          On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                          BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

i'm just talking about a few (1 or 2) circular holes exactly the same diameter asa piece of plastic pvc tube then seal the ends off so theres a airtight seal from trunk to cabin...this would be concealed by the seat back.

Comment

Originally posted by Nj85'325 View Post
                              build ports from box to the rear deck, get soem more boom in your cabin
                              think before you comment

Comment

Working...
                              X