Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cabrio sub

NLCarII,

Can you supply any more info on the JL Audio box? I need a solution too.

StereoInstaller, your input would be great here as well - is downward firing going to do anything better than firing toward front of car or rear of car?

I have no issues with building my own box (no idea how to design it, but putting it together should be okay). I don't need "windows blown out", just want good clean bass and no rattling license plate.

Also, the box needs to allow for stock placement of the spare tire (needs to fit under top boot as described by NLCarII.
    Cochran
    '88 325iC - daily driver, work in progress

Comment

You can do it without cutting anything, you just need more power.
      89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
      E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

Subscribed. I am thinking about how to get more bass in my new vert too. I like the idea of slim woofers underneath the front seats, but the idea of putting a steel tube through the rear bulkheads and welding it up also sounds pretty good. Thankfully StereoInstaller only lives 45 min from me so I can go bug him.

Comment

Add'l. question

How would this work out:

Build a panel that blocks off the section of the trunk under the top boot, and mount subs to that panel, firing toward rear of car.

Is this area well enough sealed to act as a box? Would free-air type subs be required for this type of application?

BTW, measurements of this area are roughly 36"W at narrowest point, 12" high at lowest point, 12" deep at top and ~8" deep on floor (minimum intrusion into spare tire well). These are measurements with the gray trunk lining material moved away.
          Last edited by cochran; 08-28-2007, 09:54 AM. Reason: extra info
          Cochran
          '88 325iC - daily driver, work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
            You can do it without cutting anything, you just need more power.
            Sorry, man...wrong answer. Wattage is never going to make it sound better or play much louder. Bad physics!

If it sounds shitty at 10 watts, it will still sound shitty at 1000.

Wattage is logarithmic, so twice the power of 100 watts is 1000, not 200.

Getting the pressure wave inside the cabin is simply not going to happen in a 'vert by adding more power. Not feasable...unless you don't care about sound quality.

Maybe I can get CorvallisBMW to drop his car off for a week or three so I can design and build a box in my spare time that actually works in a 'vert.

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
              Maybe I can get CorvallisBMW to drop his car off for a week or three so I can design and build a box in my spare time that actually works in a 'vert.

Luke
              You got it. I'll buy the parts if you install it, the car will be a garage queen for the winter anyways.

Comment

Who said anything about sounding better? And since when does wattage not come into play? I though he was merely trying to get low end sound in the cabin. Sure it's not going to sound like it would if the box was sitting in the back seat, but it still works. If you are trying to overcome the sealed nature of the trunk, you need to add more power.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Sorry, man...wrong answer. Wattage is never going to make it sound better or play much louder. Bad physics!

If it sounds shitty at 10 watts, it will still sound shitty at 1000.

Wattage is logarithmic, so twice the power of 100 watts is 1000, not 200.

Getting the pressure wave inside the cabin is simply not going to happen in a 'vert by adding more power. Not feasable...unless you don't care about sound quality.

Luke

Comment

If you are trying to overcome the sealed nature of the trunk, you need to add more power.
                  No amount of power will 'unseal' your trunk. Like was pointed out, if 10 watts sounds bad because of a sealed trunk, 1000 watts will still sound bad. The only thing that can overcome the sealed nature of the trunk is an unsealed trunk :)

Comment

I have a vert and was going to maybe put in a MTX 7500 in my trunk(or if i have enough money i'd put in a 9500) will I still be able to hear it decently with the top down?
                    http://www.steinbachphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by steinbachphoto View Post
                      I have a vert and was going to maybe put in a MTX 7500 in my trunk(or if i have enough money i'd put in a 9500) will I still be able to hear it decently with the top down?
                      Not sure of that system, but according to everyone else, the answer is no - no matter how much power you put to it. You will lose even more output with the top down.

I've been doing fine with mine for years. Go figure.

Comment

Not sure of that system, but according to everyone else, the answer is no - no matter how much power you put to it. You will lose even more output with the top down.

I've been doing fine with mine for years. Go figure.
                        do you have a vert as well?

the 9500 is one of the most powerful subs out there. its more powerful than 2 12" JL subs.

Comment

do you have a vert as well?

the 9500 is one of the most powerful subs out there. its more powerful than 2 12" JL subs.
                          Yes. I actually have 2 at the moment. :)

That's another way of getting around the problem...a bigger sub.

I have a single 10" running 600W mono and it does ok. You really have to push it to get any kind of acceptable volume with the roof down AND my trunk is stock. I probably could have gone with a bigger woofer, but I wanted trunk space.

Comment

Yes. I actually have 2 at the moment. :)

I have a single 10" running 600W mono and it does ok. You really have to push it to get any kind of acceptable volume with the roof down AND my trunk is stock. I probably could have gone with a bigger woofer, but I wanted trunk space.
                            i have toooons of trunk space so I'm not worried

Comment

i have toooons of trunk space so I'm not worried
                              Toooons of space? What are you driving? Once of those special Canadian models or something?

Cabrio trunk is smaaaaall, boy.

Comment

So, what I am hearing is basically that the sub sucks, but you are OK with it because you don't want to do the extra work required to make it better...basically it, right?

So just to explain how that whole "add more power" bullshit would kick your ass in a bad way if you wanted to make it louder, consider this:

If you are getting 120db using 600 watts, and you decided to go only 3db louder, you would need about 1500 watts (roughly)...and your sub cannot handle that, nor could your box, nor could your alternator.

However, if you could actually pass the bass you have now you would likely gain as much as 10db.

That is why adding more power does not work.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X