M42 Radiator expansion tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Radiator expansion tank

The side mounted expansion tank on my radiator has developed a small leak at the bottom of it. Is it removable? I think I need to re-seal it. The radiator is fairly new so I don't want to replace it.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Yep. Pull it off, reseal it with some silicone and your good to go.
    ---1991 M50 Powered More Door
    ---1990 Slow Calypso Cabrio
    ---2002 9k Rev Honda

Comment

Like he said it is removable, When I did the radiator on my last car, I bought this stuff that was a bunch of capsules and tar called Radiator Repair. You pour it in the top and it creates a coating on the inside of the radiator. It fixed a couple small leaks.

GL

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread but...

is this where the leak was from?

Because if all I have to do is reseal it, thats AWESOME!
        Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

I have a nice radiator, like new, that's laying around collecting dust, if anyone is looking for one. New are like $190...SOLD
          Last edited by Schneller 3er; 07-18-2008, 05:10 AM.
          Danny

88 ///M3 - Zinno street/shop queen
          88 ///M3 - Henna Track rat (Sold)
          98 ///M3 hellrot - Sold
          89 Porsche 944 - dd
          95 E34 525it/pick up - P/U Project
          90 325is - track rat

Comment

Originally posted by devonjordan View Post
            Sorry to bump an old thread but...

is this where the leak was from?

Because if all I have to do is reseal it, thats AWESOME!
            drain the tank, pull the top two hex screws, pop the top 'cover' off, and yank the tank off. apply rtv and you're set.

Comment

^^ I bet I'm about to sound like an imbecile, but I drained the tank today, pulled the top two hex screws, and removed the bleed screw, but for the life of me, could not figure out how to "pop the top 'cover' off." The cover seemed to be securely fastened to the radiator. And I even undid the plastic rivet that holds the fan shroud on. Am I missing something, or do I just need to pull harder?

Alpine II 318is

Comment

Pull harder. The expansion tank is going to be difficult to remove as well. Get new rings and seal them with silicone and you should be good to go.
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

IIRC it has an O-ring wraps around the bottom neck of the expansion tank.
                  Use hair dryer would help to soften the area, right before you pull the tank off.

Comment

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...02&hg=17&fg=05 Part # 3 if you want to replace the oring instead of using silicone.

Comment

It is a bitch to pull the tank off. When reinstalling it make sure to lube the new rubber o-rings with some silicone dielectric grease so that they don't pinch/tear when you jam the new tank in. It is a big PITA.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Uggggg!

I have been going through hell fellas, i need some advice.

My expansion tank was seeping at the bottom. My car was not over heating or anything.
                        I bought a new expansion tank and both o-rings from pelican parts. I put the new parts in, easy enough. I then proceeded bleeding the system. Awesome, I got my heater working better then ever and restored a slightly pulsed idle to normal.

Throughout bleeding the system I developed a leak at the bleeder screw. I bought a new bleeder screw today at BMW and expected to go home pop it on and be good.

The new one is leaking too. I actually can not tighten it down without it popping free and needing to be re-tightened. <Same problem I had with the last one randomly.

Oh and i look down and my expansion tank is leaking just like the last one.

I need to go to work tmrw and i'm getting super frustrated.
                        91 E30 318is
                        99 E36 M3
                        05 E46 ZHP sedan
                        66 Impala Lowrod

Comment

sounds like the thread on the rad itself for the bleeder screw may be stripped?
                          Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop
                          visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

bavauto sells a brass bleeder screw, might help
                            1991 318is ---230K - DD
                            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Nice way I found to get the tank off a bit easier: use a flathead screwdriver and hammer, get under the car and tap away at the gap between tank and radiator. Once a decent gap is opened use a bit more force, and the tank pops off nice and easy..er like. Getting it back on is still a bitch though.

Comment

Working...
                              X