cuts out @ 3000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlUe E30 View Post
    my friends had your EXACT problem and it was the vacuum line under the throttle body that you can barely see its the 90 degree angle one dry rotted and broke off completely
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
    My wifes car had a similar issue..not as severe as you are describing, but along similar lines.

I took apart the fuel injector harness under the intake manifold and cleaned all the corrosion out, shot some dialectic grease in there and all has been well every since.

GL!
    Luke
    Originally posted by BigSam View Post
    Paul, I realize that you arent going to do shit tonight because it's 12 degrees outside, but serious look at the big tube under the intake manifold. It almost caused me to lose my mind after I put the 2.7i into my car.
    Yea, there is a lot I still need to look at. Thanks for the suggestions.
    It's been so dam cold out I've called it quits till it warms up a bit. I'm totally broke too, so I couldn't buy a new hose or anything else if I wanted to. :)

BIG SAM! Stop by if your in town and feel like freezing your balls off!
    sigpic

Comment

this may sound weird but its only when you put a load on it? do you have the stock exhaist bescause in my experience bogging and lack of power when you give it only rpm fast or after awhile could mean an exhaust restriction. not allowing the air coming in to be pushed out the tail pipe, backing up when you give it rpm or any power and going back into the cylinder making it fall on its face. check your exhaust for any restriction kink in the pipe maybe someone decided to shove something in your tail pipe. or if its the original cat it could be clogged
      sigpic

Comment

also do you have a new fuel filter? i would replace that also could help a little with the problem
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlUe E30 View Post
          this may sound weird but its only when you put a load on it? do you have the stock exhaist bescause in my experience bogging and lack of power when you give it only rpm fast or after awhile could mean an exhaust restriction. not allowing the air coming in to be pushed out the tail pipe, backing up when you give it rpm or any power and going back into the cylinder making it fall on its face. check your exhaust for any restriction kink in the pipe maybe someone decided to shove something in your tail pipe. or if its the original cat it could be clogged
          No, it doesn't have the stock exhaust installed. Additionally there is no cat either. Straight pipes to the muffler. Definitely no restriction there.
          I doubt it is as simple as a fuel filter. A clogged filter would act the same whether the motor was hot or cold, I would think.

Thank for the suggestion though.
          sigpic

Comment

Any luck with this issue? I am having about the same problems. Could camshaft sensor have anything to do with this problem? I am going to poke around at some hoses whenever I get a free second (stupid family xmas parties:D).

I need to replace fuel filter, possibly O2 sensor and install a short shift kit too.
            '91 318is Alpine II- || HR Sport || Bilstein Sport || Poly RTAB || Treehouse FCAB || Poly Motor Mount || Poly Tranny Mount || Poly Diff mount || IE Sway Bar || BA HP Coils/Wires || 19# Injectors || SSR Comps w/10mm spacers || Hawk Pads || Fog Delete || Magnaflow Exhaust || Z4 3.0 SSK ||

Comment

the cam sensor? isnt it a cap and rotor?
              sigpic

Comment

M20s do not have a cam sensor

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by longms View Post
                  Any luck with this issue? I am having about the same problems. Could camshaft sensor have anything to do with this problem? I am going to poke around at some hoses whenever I get a free second (stupid family xmas parties:D).

I need to replace fuel filter, possibly O2 sensor and install a short shift kit too.
                  No, I have not done anything further with this yet. Pending funds. :D
                  sigpic

Comment

Paul, let me know when the part out is, I need the tranny :)

Comment

Originally posted by BigSam View Post
                      Paul, let me know when the part out is, I need the tranny :)
                      Yea, so I hear. Welcome to the IX club.
                      I'll sell it to you for $650,
                      sigpic

Comment

Just want to get back to everyone on this problem with my IX...
                        Well, knock on wood, I think I have solved it. I don't know how much sense this makes, but this is what went down...

After sitting all winter, we finally had some warm-ish weather (in the mid 30's:p), so I got to replacing a few more things.

Two notable items were the rubber elbow between the ICV and throttle body and the breather hose between the valve cover and throttle body.

The elbow was pretty weathered and fitment was loose.

The breather hose seemed to be in fine shape, but upon removal, I discovered that there was WATER in it! Not just a few drops of condensation, but enough to actually pour out. (now seriously, tell me how water gets in there??!)
                        I imagine that isn't the best place for water to be.:) So, since I had it off and had a new hose on hand I threw the new one on there.

I fired it up, let it run till it was good and hot (where the problem normally surfaces), revved it a few time and all seemed good. Took it out for a good drive throughout the neighborhood and still all was good!

I don't know how much sense any of that makes, but it's been running great since.

Thoughts, comments??
                        sigpic

Comment

sounds like bad airflow meter or coolant temp sensor. if either of those dont fully cure it id also look at the ICV as mien was causing loss of power from 3500rpm to 4000rpm intermittantly. took me forever to figure out the ICV was the cause. only figured it out when the car started to develop problems at low revs and at idle about 1-2 months later.

Currently E30-less

- EthosMotorsports.com

Comment

Originally posted by DmcL View Post
                            sounds like bad airflow meter or coolant temp sensor. if either of those dont fully cure it id also look at the ICV as mien was causing loss of power from 3500rpm to 4000rpm intermittantly. took me forever to figure out the ICV was the cause. only figured it out when the car started to develop problems at low revs and at idle about 1-2 months later.
                            thanks for the reply, but as I stated in my previous post, I believe the problem has been solved (so far so good). I did however, replace the AFM, ICV, and temp sensor. That had no effect at the time. Thanks again though!
                            Last edited by sector6; 03-01-2010, 12:14 PM. Reason: ...after thought.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X