Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody have the engine start button installed here........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody have the engine start button installed here........

I am tempted to buy the engine start switch for my e30. I was just wondering if anybody had this installed, and if it was a hard task. My car is just a track/daily so I think this would be a nice touch for that racing look! thanks in advance!

That'd be cool.. sorry I don't have one installed but I wanted to ask, wouldn't it make your car a lot easier to steal? I've always wondered about that. Can someone enlighten me?
    -Darius (aka DiscoDoughnuts on other forums)

dude man bro...

Comment

well yea, plus i saw the thread they have here but i dont want to have to use the key anymore. the ignition would be from another switch. I know this will make the car more steal-able but I would also have the master battery disconnect, just take the red key with you and wallah the car has no power. Besides, like mine is a track/daily It would be fine, mine doesn't even have a stereo.

Comment

Have you given any thought to a master battery kill switch that you take with you every time? You'll be resetting your radio, time, date, etc. As well as your ECU and the car will be "relearning" the chip every time you drive it...

Also, the switch doesn't eliminate the key. You still insert a key and turn on the ignition, the button is just a starter. Sure it's fancy in other cars, but those are OEM buttons, on high end cars that use radio frequency in the keys to make sure the key is inside the car before the start button can be used to activate the ignition.

I can't imagine a way of eliminating having a key in the ignition (or relocating and hiding the ignition itself... but then of course the ignition and acc. power will always be on, killing the battery) and having just a button to start the car...
        Last edited by Bishop; 03-14-2010, 09:32 AM.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
        Originally posted by DTM190
        "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
          Have you given any thought to a master battery kill switch that you take with you every time? You'll be resetting your radio, time, date, etc. As well as your ECU and the car will be "relearning" the chip every time you drive it...

Also, the switch doesn't eliminate the key. You still insert a key and turn on the ignition, the button is just a starter. Sure it's fancy in other cars, but those are OEM buttons, on high end cars that use radio frequency in the keys to make sure the key is inside the car before the button can be used to activate the start button.

I can't imagine a way of eliminating having a key in the ignition (or relocating and hiding the ignition itself... but then of course the ignition and acc. power will always be on, killing the battery) and having just a button to start the car...
          Insomniacs unite.

I don't see the point of putting an engine start/stop button in any car really. The key works fine.....teh FUH RAZE clapped out-ricetard race look you're going for is just pointless. ooooo look, he started his car by turning the key and THEN pushing a BIG RED BUTTONZ!

New BMWs have the start/stop button AND a key fob you have to insert into the dash to start the car. It. Is. Retarded.

Bishop's right too- it will just kill your battery, cutting off all power to your electronics and saved bits on them. If you really think a big red shiny Start/Stop?/I'm-Dumb button is going to get you laid, then more power too you. I'll be laughing.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I have one in my car, There is a thread on here about it. It's prety usless, just looks nice. Thing is, Even if you do bypass the ignition system with a switch/button, you still need the key to release the steering lock. Basically to elliminate the key all together, it's alot of work for something which at the end of the day, doesnt really save you any time.

R.H.D
            M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by JamesE30 View Post
              No window switches?
              Last edited by blalor; 03-14-2010, 05:57 AM. Reason: snip snip

Comment

Originally posted by blalor View Post
                No window switches?
                Crank windows

R.H.D
                M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by JamesE30 View Post
                  Crank windows
                  I liked "crank windows cowboy" better. ;)

Comment

mmmm... RHD.
                    I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
                    2875-C Towerview Road
                    Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

I once worked on a car that had the key broken off in the column, and had a power window master switch (above the radio)wired in to start the car-- yeah it was kinda ghey.

Comment

My Dads 1940 Plymouth had a starter button.

It was full raze too.

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                          New BMWs have the start/stop button AND a key fob you have to insert into the dash to start the car. It. Is. Retarded.
                          As this is true, the even newer BMWs, such as the new 7 and the 550i GT, don't need that. You keep the key in your pocket and it sends a signal to the car, you then press the "Start Engine" button, and you're good to go. You can keep it in your pocket, keep it on the dash, ect. No need to push it in any more.
                          M Coupe

Comment

Here's a DIY for an e36, dunno how relative it would be to an e30 but it might help
                            BMW E36 Start Button. BMW DIY (Do It Yourself). For the home mechanic!
                            1990 S50 goodness.

Comment

I got one in the 2002
                              [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                              Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Working...
                              X