Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if I allow my registration to lapse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if I allow my registration to lapse?

I'm looking for a straight forward answer. I'm aware that driving it could get me a ticket.

1) I live in New York State
    2) My insurance will be continuous throughout the lapse
    3) My inspection is still valid
    4) I wont be driving the car, although it will be parked on the street.

So, under those circumstances, are there any consequences of letting my registration lapse for a few days?

afaik you can still get ticketed if its on the street almost anywhere...
    I take pictures of stuff for a living...
    www.motionblurphoto.com

Comment

I believe you are right.

I am more concerned with fees from the DMV or "pile-up" fees like if it would cause my insurance to be canceled.

Comment

didnt cause fees in VA, i just got a ticket.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

why wouln't you call the DMV?

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

In California you can do a non-op, or you can sweet-talk them into giving you a few day passes if you tell them you are working on it to get smogged.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
              why wouln't you call the DMV?
              It's a pressing issue. Have you called the DMV before? I'm pretty sure that it would be too late by the time I got anybody on the phone. Maybe things are a bit different in Washington, though...

Comment

Originally posted by structured View Post
                It's a pressing issue. Have you called the DMV before? I'm pretty sure that it would be too late by the time I got anybody on the phone. Maybe things are a bit different in Washington, though...
                Lack o' customer support, huh? I mean, you guys have a zillion or so people, but likely still only have 6 people behind the counter at DMV, right?

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Lack o' customer support, huh? I mean, you guys have a zillion or so people, but likely still only have 6 people behind the counter at DMV, right?
                  Yeah, that's basically it. I mean, it wasn't so bad when I lived in a small town upstate, but now it's usually a four hour affair every time I go down to the DMV. The last time I called, I was put on hold and never got to speak to a real person. Eventually I just hung up.

Comment

In NYC your car gets ticketed if an officer notices the lapse. If the Marshall passes by and see it with an expired registration. the car gets towed.
                    Last edited by Motorsports; 07-22-2010, 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
                    sigpic

Comment

How would a parking person know it was expired, lack of sticker on license plate? I kinda doubt they would tow an out of state car for lack of registration, but I don't know.

My question is, if you get pulled over with expired registration is that the same penalty as just not having your reg. in your car? One time I got pulled over and while I had paid my reg. fees and gotten new one in the mail I forgot to put it in my car, and when I got pulled over he gave me "no registration in car" or something ticket. What a prick.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossman View Post
                        How would a parking person know it was expired, lack of sticker on license plate? I kinda doubt they would tow an out of state car for lack of registration, but I don't know.
                        In NY there is a big sticker on your windshield that displays the date the registration expires.

To the OP, you will get a ticket if you park it on the street and the registration is expired. They check for that. I would call the state DMV number and ask them. I've done that with little to no wait.

Originally posted by LJ851
                        I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Mossman View Post

My question is, if you get pulled over with expired registration is that the same penalty as just not having your reg. in your car? One time I got pulled over and while I had paid my reg. fees and gotten new one in the mail I forgot to put it in my car, and when I got pulled over he gave me "no registration in car" or something ticket. What a prick.
                          My first BMW was registered in MA. The registration sticker over there are used on the rear plate. Mine was parked in front of my mothers house and towed. Around here The Marshall comes out and takes a drive. Running license plates to see who owes the city money. If it owes over $350 or Expired registration. it gets taken.
                          sigpic

Comment

Car cover, no one sees the plate then.
                            1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                            You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Working...
                            X