E30 M50 oil pan removal.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
    If you're gonna bump a 2 and a half year old thread, that is how you do it.
    Damn right.

Early models do it better.

'86 Cosmos Sedan LS1

Comment

cool, never thought of drilling those holes in getrag. i will have to remember this next time i have to pull an oil pan on 24v e30 w/getrag.
      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Reviving this old thread

I want to say thank you first for all the info I have been able to access on this site and I appreciate all the members sharing their experiences.
        I am reviving this old thread to see if anyone has some suggestions. I am trying to remove the oil pan in my 87 E30 with m50 motor and M20 trans

I have removed all bolts EXCEPT the two near the transmission housing. I was able to successfully cut the 1 inch holes to access the bolts BUT instead of the bolts having clearance from the flywheel to remove they are tucked right against and sheared off (i didn't do the swap so I am guessing they were trimmed to fit) how the heck am I going to get these out now?

I really do not want to pull the tranny....

Comment

Originally posted by nateynormal View Post
          I want to say thank you first for all the info I have been able to access on this site and I appreciate all the members sharing their experiences.
          I am reviving this old thread to see if anyone has some suggestions. I am trying to remove the oil pan in my 87 E30 with m50 motor and M20 trans

I have removed all bolts EXCEPT the two near the transmission housing. I was able to successfully cut the 1 inch holes to access the bolts BUT instead of the bolts having clearance from the flywheel to remove they are tucked right against and sheared off (i didn't do the swap so I am guessing they were trimmed to fit) how the heck am I going to get these out now?

I really do not want to pull the tranny....
          That sucks. I'm not sure if that's normal fitment for an M50 with an M20 flywheel on it (BTW, you have a Getrag 260 trans, not an M20...M20 is the engine). But i'd guess that you have an M20 flywheel that hasn't been shaved down.

You're not getting those out without dropping the transmission. Even if you could get in there and weld a bolt onto the bolt heads, they aren't going to spin with the flywheel that close. You'd have to get a cutting tool in there to shear off the other sides of the bolt heads so they spin. There's just not enough room.
          Last edited by fiveightandten; 03-07-2016, 09:10 PM.
          -Nick
          sigpic
          1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

Comment

Originally posted by fiveightandten View Post
            That sucks. I'm not sure if that's normal fitment for an M50 with an M20 flywheel on it (BTW, you have a Getrag 260 trans, not an M20...M20 is the engine). But i'd guess that you have an M20 flywheel that hasn't been shaved down.

You're not getting those out without dropping the transmission. Even if you could get in there and weld a bolt onto the bolt heads, they aren't going to spin with the flywheel that close. You'd have to get a cutting tool in there to shear off the other sides of the bolt heads so they spin. There's just not enough room.
            totally right....

tranny, pressure plate and clutch are out.

yes getrag trans
            M50 motor not M20

now i am wondering what is the correct flywheel for this swap?

Id rather put this back together the right way.... but do i need to match the clutch to the flywheel?
            i put up another post to ask for some more advice.

Comment

Working...
            X