Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infamous Vega in-tank fuel pump mod.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infamous Vega in-tank fuel pump mod.....

Seems to be alot of bad/bogus/wrong info floating around about the infamous Chevy Vega fuel pump mod. I've always heard about these being an almost exact replacement for the in-tank pump on the pre-88 325e/325i with 2 pumps. I actually did this mod on my car about 10 years ago on the side of the road about 1 mile from Sebring Fl. We were on the way to a weekend driver's school and my car died after a ~600 mile road trip from NC.

I determined it was a dead in-tank pump, went to the local Discount Auto Parts store and bought a Chevy Vega in-tank pump for ~$30, installed it on the side of the road and the car was fine ever since.

I just took some pics today of the stock pump setup as well as the vega pump I installed in my car years ago, and a brand new vega fuel pump. Install is simple, you have to re-use the fuel pump bracket/return tube assembly, just pull the old fuel pump off of it. Carefully grind/pry the 2 electrical connectors off the copper terminals- I used a pocket knife. Once you have the old pump off, carefully orient the new pump and clamp it to the tube, I used a large hose clamp, but you could use a couple of GOOD zip ties if you prefer. Make sure you don't put the hose clamp screw part in the way of the level sender.

The pump has "+" and "-" markings on the electrical terminals, just put them on the right way and you'll be good.

Here are pics, let me know if something is not clear and I'll do my best to clarify.

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere, I always see questions about this mod and alot of wrong/misleading answers. Keep in mind this is not a "performance" mod, but mainly just an option to the $$$$$ OEM in-tank pump that IMHO works just fine for about 15-20% of the cost of the OEM stuff.

Hate to dig this up, but I would like to know what year vega you adked for at the parts store?

sigpic

Comment

IIRC they're all the same. I think I went for a 1976 just to be in the late/middle years. Advanced had that shit in stock, lol.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

1984 5.0 Ford Thunderbird also uses a 5psi in tank pump that will fit in the stock location with the original rubber fuel line connector
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Revisiting this (I'm bored):

This works for e30s and e28s, all part #s are the same, etc, etc. Cannot say for other models, but I would assume so.

Part #s:

-Fuel pump kit:

NAPA # = E2485.

When put into Amazon there are two options, the E2485, or the A0467. A0467 is a lot cheaper. I'll be trying it on my GF's car soon.

-Fuel strainer:

Advance AP # = FS100. This gave me a straight through strainer (Same part # on Amazon produces same result, plus another, see below).

Amazon pops up a FS0093. I like this better as it's a 90 degree filter.

I'll be trying the FS0093 on my GF's car too.

This, plus a main fuel pump (Bosch 69414 from Amazon) should get me going fresh for under $150 shipped.

BAM!

Slammin'
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Wow! Just found this while digging for info on doing a fuel system refresh on my '87, since the external pump has been buzzing since forever and one of my fuel lines failed last week. Great info guys!
            Originally posted by Dozyproductions
            You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Question - will this work with the Eta set up as well?
              Estoguy
              1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Napa now sells a kit P/N B0255E. It is a lot like the above solution. On the Napa website they state it is an "OEM equivalent" and a "direct fit". Nothing could be further from the truth.

I was able to reuse the stock strainer. The strainer listed above does not fit this pump.

The biggest problems are:
                The intake locations are different.
                The strainer is now a fiction fit only.
                In order to keep the connector hose as straight as possible (reused hose also) and to keep the binding to a minimum. I had to orient the mounting tab so it was a bit wide and had to squeeze it over to get it in the tank so removal will be a slight challenge.

The good part is (fingers crossed) the pump is a USA part made by Carter.

I wouldn't recommend this solution but it does work.

JH
                HIK Fab

Comment

Originally posted by JGee View Post
                  Napa now sells a kit P/N B0255E. It is a lot like the above solution. On the Napa website they state it is an "OEM equivalent" and a "direct fit". Nothing could be further from the truth.

I was able to reuse the stock strainer. The strainer listed above does not fit this pump.
                  is this "direct fit" for a vega?
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                    is this "direct fit" for a vega?
                    Napa claims direct fit for '86 BMW 325.
                    HIK Fab

Comment

Working...
                    X