Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum number of wires for M50 swap to run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum number of wires for M50 swap to run?

When the eta engine in our LeMons 87 325e parted ways with coolant and cooked itself, I bought another 86 325e former LeMons car which already had an M50 swap and was already running and driving. It had rolled and the body wouldn't pass tech so they sold it cheap.

Anyway, I'm getting started with the work to install the M50 in my car and am tackling the wiring. When I first looked at the harness I noticed it was kinda hacked up, lots of stuff cut and spliced, and the C101 connector was cut off in favor of some Radio Shack computer connector. So I decided to buy a replacement harness so I'd start from scratch and be able to cut the original C101 off the E30 harness and splice it to the new M50 harness so it'll plug in with the OE connector. Unfortunately I ended up getting an automatic harness but I can make it work. I was using this chart as reference

I later realized what I thought were lots of hacked up connectors are actually factory splices that are normally hidden inside the plastic firewall box wire holder thing, heh. So it's not as bad as I thought.

I first compared to the ETM and the wires seemed to match the chart despite a couple of color differences. As I looked at them today, I realized the old M50 harness that came from the donor car only had 7 wires connected to C101 replacement connector. I traced them and compared them to the uncut M50 harness, and they are (position # from original E30 harness):

1. Alternator - blue
    4. Coolant temp - brown/white
    5. Oil pressure - brown/green
    7. Ignition - green
    9. Tach - black
    13. Fuel pump relay - green/violet
    18. Ignition - black/yellow

The car ran and drove fine (I drove it), so obviously it worked, but would this combo of wires hooked up alone cause any problems? I noticed the plugs were pretty carboned up. The car didn't have an oxygen sensor at all IIRC.

Ideally I'd like to simplify the wiring as much as possible, so using the 7 wire harness is appealing. Bear in mind this is in a gutted race car with no interior, no check control panel, only the stock instrument cluster (for the fuel gauge and tach, but I just got an aftermarket tach since our 5K eta tach won't cut it anymore). I'll be running aftermarket oil pressure and water temp gauges with pressure warning lights, so all I really need is the gas gauge on the original cluster.

Opinions?
    The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

To be honest you only need 1 wire to get the car to run. 1 more if you want the starter to work. One more if you want the o2 sensor to work 1 if you want the ecu to have the proper VSS signal. The rest are for the cluster and other poo.

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

When i wired up my ETA it was only 7 or 8 wires. And it ran very well.
      1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
      1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
      1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
      1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

How many wires are needed to not have the CEL on?

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
          To be honest you only need 1 wire to get the car to run. 1 more if you want the starter to work. One more if you want the o2 sensor to work 1 if you want the ecu to have the proper VSS signal. The rest are for the cluster and other poo.
          Yup this. The only two wires needed to start the car are the fuel pump and starter wire, and that's it. Connect the fuse box wires to the terminal, put the proper ground from the harness, ground the motor, and turn the motor over and it'll start.
          Originally posted by TSI
          ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
          OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
            Our VSS has been disconnected for a long time because the sensor in the diff we're running has a different connector than the factory harness. Is there any downside to not having a VSS signal to the ECU?

Comment

Originally posted by LTDScott View Post
              Our VSS has been disconnected for a long time because the sensor in the diff we're running has a different connector than the factory harness. Is there any downside to not having a VSS signal to the ECU?
              On an M50 vanos it can cause driveability issues.
              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

hmm.. the car raced without it.

Comment

Oh, full disclosure... this is a 3/92 NON-VANOS engine/harness I'm dealing with. Should have mentioned that before.

Comment

VSS doesn't matter in non vanos
                    '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Good to know. I think I will add an O2 sensor though.

Comment

325i swop in 74 mustang

Howzit thank you for that information!
                        I find it very usfull. I'm swoping a m50 into my
                        74 mustang II. I want to use my original body harness and my cluster. I know I will need the computer box but I will be using the 7 wire system you have put up.
                        I am only abit concerned on can I connect the following on the same ford harness to the bmw one?
                        Alternator - blue
                        4. Coolant temp - brown/white
                        5. Oil pressure - brown/green
                        7. Ignition - green
                        9. Tach - black
                        13. Fuel pump relay - green/violet
                        18. Ignition - black/yellow on the same ford harness

Comment

Working...
                        X