causes for the ABS light to stay on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

causes for the ABS light to stay on

Newly purchased an '86 325e. [Anti-Lock] light is illuminated at all times. I replaced the ABS relay and the light is still on. I pulled the cover off the ABS module under the hood and couldn't find anything wrong. The Bentley Manual is surprisingly unhelpful when working on this car. What are the causes for the ABS light to come on? Thanks.

~Mike

Troubleshooting the ABS system isn't very difficult. It is a standalone system
    that only gets input data from the brake light switch, wheel sensors, and
    system power. The parts of the system are the ABS module located next to the
    steering column, the ABS relay mounted above the ABS module, the ABS unit in
    the left front of the engine bay, and a speed sensor at each wheel.

If the ABS light comes on with ignition, but doesn't go out when the engine
    starts, a wiring problem, bad module, or bad ABS relay are the likely
    candidates. A failed or weak alternator will also cause this because the
    system voltage won't rise enough. There is a fusible link inside the ABS relay
    that can be blown. The relay can be repaired, or better yet, replaced. The
    relays in the ABS unit can be replaced.

If the ABS light comes on when you turn on the ignition, goes out when the
    engine starts, and then comes back on before the car is moving the cause could
    be a bad module, a bad ABS unit, or a wiring fault.

If the light goes out after engine start and only comes on when the car is
    moving, there's a problem with one (or more) of the sensors. The simple test
    to find out which sensor(s) is the cause is to disconnect all but one of the
    sensors and drive the car. If the light comes on, that sensor is sending a
    speed signal to the ABS and is good. Repeat with each other sensor to find the
    one(s) that don't cause the light to come on. Since the ABS module has no
    speed input besides the wheel sensors, if only a bad sensor is connected the
    module can't tell the car is moving and thus doesn't fault on missing speed
    signals from the other wheels. Once a bad speed sensor is found, if a new
    sensor still doesn't work, there could be a wiring fault in that circuit or a
    bad input channel in the ABS unit.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

^^^ thank you for such great and detailed explanation. I have same issue as OP. Will look into it following your advice
      "i love vee tek, its a wonderful sound when you driving right by it"

If you bought anything from me, please leave a feedback here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ghlight=drulle

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        Troubleshooting the ABS system isn't very difficult. It is a standalone system
        that only gets input data from the brake light switch, wheel sensors, and
        system power. The parts of the system are the ABS module located next to the
        steering column, the ABS relay mounted above the ABS module, the ABS unit in
        the left front of the engine bay, and a speed sensor at each wheel.

If the ABS light comes on with ignition, but doesn't go out when the engine
        starts, a wiring problem, bad module, or bad ABS relay are the likely
        candidates. A failed or weak alternator will also cause this because the
        system voltage won't rise enough. There is a fusible link inside the ABS relay
        that can be blown. The relay can be repaired, or better yet, replaced. The
        relays in the ABS unit can be replaced.

If the ABS light comes on when you turn on the ignition, goes out when the
        engine starts, and then comes back on before the car is moving the cause could
        be a bad module, a bad ABS unit, or a wiring fault.

If the light goes out after engine start and only comes on when the car is
        moving, there's a problem with one (or more) of the sensors. The simple test
        to find out which sensor(s) is the cause is to disconnect all but one of the
        sensors and drive the car. If the light comes on, that sensor is sending a
        speed signal to the ABS and is good. Repeat with each other sensor to find the
        one(s) that don't cause the light to come on. Since the ABS module has no
        speed input besides the wheel sensors, if only a bad sensor is connected the
        module can't tell the car is moving and thus doesn't fault on missing speed
        signals from the other wheels. Once a bad speed sensor is found, if a new
        sensor still doesn't work, there could be a wiring fault in that circuit or a
        bad input channel in the ABS unit.
        That takes a lot of the mystery out of diagnosising my ABS system. I had no idea how it really worked but that really clears things up.
        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
        Originally posted by mbonanni
        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

What could it be if it comes on every time after driving for about 4 minutes and stays on. Car sits over night starts up and again, after 4 minutes the light comes on again.

I recently replaced the grommets that hold the brake fluid reservoir so could air in the system cause this?
          sigpic
          TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
          FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Originally posted by mcskibadee1 View Post
            What could it be if it comes on every time after driving for about 4 minutes and stays on. Car sits over night starts up and again, after 4 minutes the light comes on again.

I recently replaced the grommets that hold the brake fluid reservoir so could air in the system cause this?
            See the diagnostic above... The master cylinder & reservoir has nothing to do with the ABS light being on.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
            X