Late model coupe(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late model coupe(s)

Greetings r3vlimiters! Ive been on r3v for over a year now but im just now getting around to posting my rides. These are my two late model coupes:

90 325ix in sterling silber
    91 325i in lazurblau

So I bought my iX in September 2014 as my daily driver. Other than a few small things it didnt skip a beat, until i could feel a bearing in the transfer case going out. Upon further inspection, all the internals were probably close to the end of their life.

I parked the iX in early April of 2016 around the time I bought my 325i.

(dont worry, i wasnt driving the ix with the bottlecaps on)

So the 325 had to take over the roles of the iX

Here is another pic looking a little cleaner

I love the utilitarian look of the oem mudflaps on this car as well as other e30s.
    Last edited by TheWipprSnappr; 10-25-2016, 08:12 AM. Reason: edit picture links and additional info
    1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
    1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
    E30 = Lego for men.

Looks good! Now I'm jealous...I only have one, it's already on jack stands for a timing belt, oil change, coolant change, and whatever else breaks while I'm doing all of that. I keep finding little rusty places, dammit!
    Last edited by Mahalaleel; 10-27-2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

photos fixed, sorry about that! Ill post some more updates when I get a chance.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

So after a very busy summer, with countless things getting me sidetracked, I was finally able to put the ix back on the road last weekend.

I ended up doing a complete rebuild on the transfer case and replaced all of the following:
        -input and output gears
        -chain
        -input and output bearings
        -input and output seals
        -breather
        -gaskets (tcase, and gasket where it mates to the trans)
        I also replaced the rear driveshaft because my old u-joint was shot.

When we first pulled it out

Getting it cracked open and even after draining it there was still plenty of atf left in there

Oh, and I gave that bitch a bath...bitches love baths :pimp:
        We didnt have a power washer, so the garden hose and a wire brush had to do.
        This was also taken after i had a chance to get some of the new seals put in.

New gears and chain in and new gasket put on

Here it is all put back together (except for the top breather) and ready to go in.

I didnt get any photos of the removal and installation process, because it was a giant pain in the ass, especially without losening the motor mounts, and given that the automatic has 9 bolts that connect it to the trans instead of 4 like the manual version...:curse:

Here it is all nestled back in and mated to the transmission. The oem mating gasket i ordered ended up being to small so i had to make one, but that wasnt to difficult.

better light:

My biggest regret throughout this whole process besides allowing myself to get distracted and prolong this process, even though i still had a daily, was not taking pictures of everything that was done.

Something I noticed almost instantly was that alot of the online knowledge and writeups for these covers the manual version and not the automatic. Even though they're the same internally, others could have benefited from seeing how the auto bolts up.

Nevertheless, Im extremely stoked to get this thing back on the road.
        The only issues really looming now are a bad fan clutch, but once that is fixed I will probably spend most of my time enjoying it (especially with winter upon us ), and fixing up the 325i because I have some plans in store for it as well.
        Last edited by TheWipprSnappr; 10-27-2016, 07:19 PM.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Also, definitely recommend using Molykote BR2 for driveshaft splines. That stuff works wonders! (Actually heard about it from Nando)

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahalaleel View Post
            Looks good! Now I'm jealous...I only have one, it's already on jack stands for a timing belt, oil change, coolant change, and whatever else breaks while I'm doing all of that. I keep finding little rusty places, dammit!
            I got pretty lucky with these two as far as rust, especially with the ix being from st. louis and the i being from davenport, IA. Only battery tray rust on both cars and just a tiny spot on the passenger side fender on the iX.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

THEY'RE ALL SEDANS!

Just messing with you, bro, but seriously, they're all sedans. :p

Nice e30s, makes me miss my ix.
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Thanks, I really wish the iX was a sedan sometimes, being awd and everything it would be cool to be able to haul more dead bodies, eh... i mean.. friends around.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWipprSnappr View Post
                  Thanks, I really wish the iX was a sedan sometimes, being awd and everything it would be cool to be able to haul more dead bodies, eh... i mean.. friends around.

I know what you mean. My ix was a two door and that was my "camping car," so I would always have my stuff if the back and it was a pain to flip the seats up constantly to load and unload...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                  X