September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editors Note: After having the epitome of the perfect OEM+ 318is, this is the perfect OEM+ 325is. Oddly enough, or not depending on your view of things, these guys are buddies! I felt it would be great to feature them back to back. I love Lewis' car, its what I would picture as the perfect E30 that can be daily driven, enjoyed at the track and oogled at C&C. And now its our turn to oogle it and get a closer glimpse into how it got here. Congrats Lewis, you're R3Vs September 2018 Car of the Month

Build Info:
    Type - AA23
    Model -325is - USA
    Engine - M20 - 162K miles and plenty more to go
    Drivetrain - HECK
    Transmission - AUT (Originally an auto, 5 speed swapped)
    Production Plant - REGENSBURG
    Production Date - 1990-01-05

Options:
    209 - Limited Slip Differential (25%)
    226 - Sports Suspension Settings
    240 - Leather Steering Wheel
    281 - Lm-rad 6 1/2 X 14
    324 - Front-und Heckspoiler
    401 - Sliding/vent Roof, Electric
    410 - Window Lifts, Electric At Front
    481 - Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger
    530 - Air Conditioning
    540 - Cruise Control
    551 - On-board Computer Ii W Remote Control
    562 - Map Reading Light
    675 - Bmw Sound System
    841 - Aussensp.in Wag.fa.u.325is Sch
    925 - Shipping Protection Package

Color:
    Sterlingsilber Metallic - 244

Interior color:
    Originally - Silber Leder - 0292 (Swapped for black sport leather and houndstooth door cards & rear panels)

Engine modifications:
    Mishimoto E36 Aluminum Radiator
    Wrinkle finish painted valve cover (black) with sanded BMW logo
    AC converted to R134
    BMP Chip
    Race Skids - Skid Plate

Exhaust:
    Stromung

Transmission:
    5 speed swap - Replaced original swapped 5speed with a NOS Getrag 260 directly from BMW sitting in a warehouse in Germany where there were only 3 left
    UUC EVO3 SSK w/DSSR and Delrin carrier bushings

Differential:
    Limited Slip Differential - Retained the 4.10LSD originally paired to the auto trans vs a 3.73 that came with the factory 5 speeds

Suspension/Brakes:
    H&R Sports
    Bilstein Sports
    E90 Drop Hats
    Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts
    E46 ZHP steering rack
    Offset E30 M3 CABs
    Ireland Engineering 22/19mm adjustable sway bars
    Garagistic reinforced & adjustable sub frame
    Garagistic reinforced rear trailing arms
    ALL suspension components (except H&R Sports) and bushings replaced within the last 2 years
    Bimmerworld Heavy Duty trans & motor mounts
    Hartge strut tower brace
    OEM Front Rotors w/Hawk HPS pads & rebuilt calipers
    Rear drilled Zimmerman rotors w/Hawk HPS pads and rebuilt calipers
    Stainless Steal brake lines front & rear

Wheels/Tires:
    BBS RS003s 16x7 ET25
    The rebuild was based around Nogaro Silver Euro Weaves
    Original Lips and Hexs Brushed & clear powdered
    Centers and Waffles - Nogaro Silver & clear powdered
    Bolts and Barrels in Satin Black Powder

Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs 225/45R16s

Exterior modifications:
    MTech I rear spoiler
    Bosch Euro Smileys
    New ZKW Fogs
    IS side skirts
    Euro bumper trim
    Garagistic bumper plugs
    OEM US Plate Filler
    Ti/E36 antenna
    Euro grilles
    Abraham’s smoked turn signal lenses
    Driver's side OEM blind spot mirror
    All red tails by Bimmerguy91
    BMW Motorsports handles
    Genuine BMW Metal Painted Hood Roundel

Interior modifications:
    Black Leather seats and Houndstooth front and rear door cards
    Mtech II 370mm steering wheel
    Husco Armrest - with NOS Husco pad
    SFGadget cupholder
    ZHP Knob
    Pedal Haus - black and silver pedals
    Pedal Haus - clutch stop
    E30 M3 leather handbrake boot
    E28 leather brake handle
    OEM door coin holder
    Dual trunk lights
    LED interior lights

Story behind the car...aka Madeline:

I bought my first E30, an 89 Lachsilber 325is, in January 2012. It was a great car, but 4 years later I debated overhauling the car which had fractured clear coat and required a full respray and all around refresh vs finding a clean car. In 2016, after shopping around and not really finding what I was looking for, I posted a WTB add on R3v to test the waters for a late model 325is. I had always wanted a Sterling Silver E30, but finding a Sterling 325is manual was a long shot. I received several posts and PMs, however the moment I saw SER1992's Sterling 325is I knew I had to have it.

It was a West Coast car and it was obvious how well it had been cared for. This was backed by a stack of receipts that later I filled a 3 inch binder with all the records going back to the mid-90s. The last 4 owners were all BMWCCA members and it shows. I have actually talked with 3 of the previous owners. One of the things I love about this car is people's reactions when I tell people it is original paint. It gets even better and they are more shocked when I then tell them I am the 7th owner.

Once I got the car I wanted to go the OEM+ route. Over the past two years the car has been gone through from bumper to bumper to refresh anything that was needed and made several upgrades along the way. Some of my favorite upgrades since I bought the car: ZHP rack, IE sways, RS003s, MTech I spoiler, IS skirts, Euro trim, and of course the suspension overhaul/refresh. As many others have posted, it is amazing what fresh bushing all around will do to an old car.

I got into autocross last year which led to signing up for the season this year. It wasn't long before I jumped on the chance to do my first HPDE. I ran two HPDEs this summer and signed up for two more before the season is done. I was instantly hooked, but knew the E30 was too nice to track regularly even with track insurance. So I picked up another car for the track so I could retire the E30 to autocross duty. The E30 is a blast to drive on the track, but I would beat my own ass if I wrecked it. But I could still see myself taking it out every once in a while on the right track/event. Why have it if I don't drive it? This is another reason I will continue to autocross and go on mountain runs in the E30 as I don't want it to turn into a car that I just drive to C&C events, it’s meant to be driven.

I would love to do more work on the car myself, but living in the city without a private garage or a driveway big projects can be hard to tackle in a day. So a big shout out to Levent at Guten Parts[/URL] and to RRT [/URL] for the help to get the car to where it is today. Also to all the friends I have made over our love for vintage BMWs, autocrossing, racing and of course to the Squad. And last big thank you to Dan (danielmp) for throwing me the keys to your E30 for my first drive, you knew exactly what you were doing and I owe you.

Journal located here

HPDE and Autocross Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrZeemz/videos

Photos:

A few of my favorite action shots:

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Amazing builds of the month back to back! I would love to come up to VA for Cars & Coffee someday!

Question: Where did you source that cupholder? I've not seen that one.

Thanks and a well deserved congrats!

Comment

Wooohoooo! Congrats, Lewis! Every time I see your E30 I'm extremely impressed (and jealous) of what an amazing machine you've put together.

Originally posted by Zeemz View Post
      One of my favorite cars & threads on R3v and one of my favorite cars to park next to locally.
      Right back at you, buddy! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

Right back at you, buddy! ;D

You two need to make more E30 friends so we can have even more amazing OEM+ E30s out there
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Congrats Lewis. Beautiful car and tasteful choices at every stop. I’ve continuously had at least one e30 since 2000 but you beat me to the punch with your car if the month honor. Well deserved.

Gives me motivation to get my iX or touring up to snuff.

Congrats again and hope to continue to see this beauty at the Vintage every year.

Comment

I’ve always loved this car. You can’t go wrong with a clean e30 on proper BBS RS wheels.

The Build:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by danielmp View Post
              Congrats Lewis. Beautiful car and tasteful choices at every stop.... you beat me to the punch with your car if the month honor. Well deserved.

I’m always looking for Cars to feature but I don’t know each and every E30 out there so I’m always looking at build threads, even checking out small features in the members rides. If it’s not a r3v member of won’t be a car of the month here.

Post your pics on your own thread, better yet, make a build thread! This is not about the sexiest cars with $3000 wheels, this is all about cars and their owners who love their cars.
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

I love clean simple builds that aren't flashy but the car must perform so well!
                1992 325i Convertible - "project"
                1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Silver is becoming my new favorite color for e30s!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    You two need to make more E30 friends so we can have even more amazing OEM+ E30s out there

We need at least one more to have E30s sweep podium next year!
                    Last edited by Zeemz; 09-07-2018, 08:30 AM.
                    1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                    1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                    Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Originally posted by boomvader View Post
                      Amazing builds of the month back to back! I would love to come up to VA for Cars & Coffee someday!

Question: Where did you source that cupholder? I've not seen that one.

Thanks and a well deserved congrats!

Thanks man!

SFGadgetguy8 - Used to sell them on R3v, but think he moved over to ETSY. At one point he wasn't going to make anymore, but my friend bought one from him about a year ago.
                      Shop Custom Decals and More by NimbleDecals located in Elk Grove, California. Smooth shipping! Has a history of shipping on time with tracking. Speedy replies! Has a history of replying to messages quickly. Rave reviews! Average review rating is 4.8 or higher

Comment

I was very excited when I found out that I had been picked for COTM. Something I would not have imagined happening when I bought my first car back in 2012. I am very lucky to have become the proud owner of a well loved and super clean car and happy that I have been able to do some little things to take it to the next level while keeping it clean.

Thank you guys for all the nice comments and support.

Comment

very clean and classy, i like that! Congrats!

Comment

had the pleasure of seeing this car in person at Vintage this year, and this is def one of my favorite E30s.....so tastefully done and original. Wouldn't have changed one mod on this car.
                            www.instagram.com/snwmble
                            #snwmble

Current:
                            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Great lookin car! I'm secretly modeling my car as a mixture between your's and Mike's... Love what both of you have done!

Comment

Working...
                              X