All M20 starters the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All M20 starters the same?

Does anyone know for sure if the starter from a 325e will work on a 325i? I would assume they are the same, since they're both 6-cylinder cars. I ask because I have one for sale, and someone interested wants to know if it will work on a 325i.

I installed a big starter from an 87 eta onto my 90 325i, which had a gear reduction starter.
    There is a little difference with the terminals. On the i starter, two of them are connected. If you install the eta starter on an i like normal. Most of the stuff on the unloader relay wont work with it running (windows, blower etc).

I just put both small wires in the same crimp-on terminal, it works just fine so far.

Comment

JC runs an e starter on an i. It has a more sluggish crank but it still works. However, because its bigger, the top bolt is nearly impossible to access, which is why he's replacing it.

Comment

Mines really not slower to crank, it actually seems a tad faster. But it's probably the same. The top bolt wasn't too bad, I just used a long exstension from the from, wrench on the back. May need to remove a coolant hose or two back there.

Comment

Working...
        X