No announcement yet.

any1 using a Z3 steering rack? if so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my Z3 rack on ebay for ~ $100 I think.

I run the z3 rack, full power steering delete and I would never go back. SOOOO much better than before and I've never experienced a problem with the travel.

Build, break, repair, repeat.
    91 300zx TT
    03 540i Msport
    91 318is track
    89 Isuzu Imark/lotus 24hr Lemons car

Originally posted by george graves
    R3v is a very different kind of forum - don't come here with your bull shit - we'll actually take the time to call you on it.

Comment

Originally posted by coolasacuc View Post
      you saying the m has a quicker feel?
      The Z3 rack has a faster feel. Imagine the Z3 rack as having equal spaced teeth as you turn from lock to lock.

The 95 M3 rack has teeth that are close together in the middle and start getting farther apart as you move toward lock.

Comment

got it. i can imagine I would prefer the Z3 rack.

Comment

So the Z3 is specific rate and the M3 is progressive rate?

I like a car that I can change lanes if I sneeze too hard. It sounds like I would like the Z3 rack better.
          It could be worse... you could be on fire... or like Chevys.

Comment

Originally posted by RLLOVER View Post

I like a car that I can change lanes if I sneeze too hard. It sounds like I would like the Z3 rack better.
            Yes, if you fart you change lanes with the Z3 rack.

Comment

Originally posted by RLLOVER View Post

Yes, the 95 M3 rack is progressive.

Comment

Off the top of my head I think the E46 M3 rack is 2.8 or 2.9 turns lock to lock. I'm not sure if it's the same for LHD.

Comment

I have a 95 m3 rack and while I can't comment on the z3 since I've never driven one I find the 95 rack to be very sensitive, not dead in the middle, and if I fart while sitting flat I don't change lanes but if I lift one butt cheek I do, YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by e30pq View Post
                    Yes, the 95 M3 rack is progressive.
                    You sure? I think the '95 is 3 turns and progressive is only 96+.. My '97 M3 has the progressive rack.

Comment

I was under the understanding that the Z3 1.9 was tighter than the other Z3's. Are you guys saying all non-M z3's are the same?

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
                      1989 325iC M50 Vert
                      1989 325i Coupe
                      1991 318is
                      1995 318ti Club Sport
                      2006 330i e90
                      2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

Originally posted by brodee View Post
                        I was under the understanding that the Z3 1.9 was tighter than the other Z3's. Are you guys saying all non-M z3's are the same?
                        they all share the same part number, based on that yes. i have no actual experience to say so however.

anyone knwo what the deal is with servo racks?
                        90 E30 325i

Comment

I'll have to lay off the beans the night before a track day event. :)
                          It could be worse... you could be on fire... or like Chevys.

Comment

I gotta look into this.
                            [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                            Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
                              You sure? I think the '95 is 3 turns and progressive is only 96+.. My '97 M3 has the progressive rack.
                              Yes I'm sure. I've confirmed this with the guys at Zionsville and I currently have the 95 M3 rack on our club race car. I also owned a 95 M3 a while back and you can feel the difference between the M3 rack and the Z3 rack.

Comment

Originally posted by e30pq View Post
                                Yes I'm sure. I've confirmed this with the guys at Zionsville and I currently have the 95 M3 rack on our club race car. I also owned a 95 M3 a while back and you can feel the difference between the M3 rack and the Z3 rack.
                                Have you actually measured it, or is this based off of feel? My 6/95 M3 rack (realoem shows this as still being the 95 model year part number) doesn't feel progressive. Actually, it feels identical to my 3/97 M3 rack in my track car. They are both ~3.2 turns. I'll have to measure travel per rotation between the two and post my findings to show if either is progressive or linear.
                                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
                                X