m30 weight gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 weight gain

does anyone know how much weight get added to the nose when you swap in a m30?
    Anything can be done

never mind, according to jared squires. the swap only adds 57lbs
    Anything can be done

Comment

Depends.

In my case m10/g240 vs m30/g260 it was a difference of 540lbs vs 395lbs.

and here is a weight of m20b27 with 5speed

Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

M10 = 82kg = 184 lbs
        M42 = 100kg = 220 lbs
        S14 = 106kg = 233 lbs
        M20 = 117kg = 257 lbs
        M30 = 143kg = 315 lbs
        M50 = 140kg = 308 lbs
        S50 = 152kg = 334 lbs

(Taken from here: http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html)
        Last edited by george graves; 11-28-2009, 08:58 PM.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Here's weight list from www.e30.de I assume that all the ancillaries are included in these weights.

M40B16 132kg
          M20B27 175kg
          M52B28 170kg
          M50B25 198kg
          M60B40 210kg
          M30B35 212kg
          M102 225kg
          S38B36 232kg
          M70B50 250kg
          - E34 M5 (x 2) -
          - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
          - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
          - E46 318i Touring -
          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

A subject of great interest to me.

I think that the unixnerd link that George posted is the weight of the stripped long block engines (block w/internals, head w/internals, no accessories, manifolds, etc).

Jonsku's link makes sense when compared to the engines that have actually been weighed. M20 at 175 Kg is 386 pounds, now add 100 lbs for trans, fan, mounts, and some other trinkets that are on the Vorshlag engine and we're almost spot on with that weight of 495 lbs.

Likewise, an M30 at 212 Kg equals 467 lbs, which synchs nicely with Jeans' 540 lbs with trans(70 lbs) but without exhaust manifolds or some of the extra stuff that was left on the Vorshlag M20. Thanks for weighing that bad boy, Jean!

Additionally, I've been told by Paul Burke that the B35 blocks are somewhat lighter than the B34's. I don't know how much of a difference we're talking about though, I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 10-20 lbs.

So 60-80 lbs for a M30 swap seems reasonable. Everyone seems to be of the opinion that the E30 easily handles the weight gain, but I hate that it's there, on the wrong end of the car. For a street or drag race car, no biggy, but I remain unconvinced for a car that will see track use. Of course, I only do HPDE's, sooo...
            1973 Bavaria

Comment

i think the weight is worth the power, run a carbon hood if your a weight weenie. A guy who brings his car to my shop has an s38 swapped e30 and it only sees the track, he said yeah its nose heavy but you deal with it that car is a monster
              Last edited by BimmerScreamer; 11-30-2009, 02:48 PM.
              Anything can be done

Comment

I find it interesting (read: annoying) that the S50 motor is heaver, but no one ever says anything about it.

But you put a m30 in and people assume you can pick up the rear of the car with one hand it's so out of balance.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                  M10 = 82kg = 184 lbs
                  M42 = 100kg = 220 lbs
                  S14 = 106kg = 233 lbs
                  M20 = 117kg = 257 lbs
                  M30 = 143kg = 315 lbs
                  M50 = 140kg = 308 lbs
                  S50 = 152kg = 334 lbs

(Taken from here: http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html)
                  Engine weights are for a dry engine with no manifolds, starter motor, alternator, etc. They will vary by 2 or 3 kg for different types of fuel injection and model year. US M50 had an iron block due to sulphur problems and is much heavier than euro. Anti-pollution kit will add a few kgs to earlier US spec engines. Where you see (short) this means the weight is for a short engine with no heads or ancillaries.

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I find it interesting (read: annoying) that the S50 motor is heaver, but no one ever says anything about it.

But you put a m30 in and people assume you can pick up the rear of the car with one hand it's so out of balance.
                    A twincam swap isn't even on the radar for me, so that's irrelevant. I just hate adding weight to a car, that's all. I know that the a/c could be removed to make up the difference, but that's not realistic in Arizona.

I'm sure I'm just overthinking it, but that's all I can afford to do right now. :(
                    1973 Bavaria

Comment

awesome, I definitely agree. Maybe its all the plastic on a m5x motor that makes it look lighter.

I can tell you I was pleasantly surprised when I lifted up my m90 head a few days ago, much lighter than I expected and no where near a twin cam head.
                      Anything can be done

Comment

Because that's the only way they like to vent out ( after oops spending a fortune on M50, M52, S50, S52 ) ;)
                        http://www.kingofeurope.net/2010/

Comment

Originally posted by drift View Post
                          Because that's the only way they like to vent out ( after oops spending a fortune on M50, M52, S50, S52 ) ;)
                          Lol I bet I have spent less then most of you guys.

www.gutenparts.com
                          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

this is great information, this thread should be sticked at the top of the m30 swap section to finally put to rest the rumors

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

You need to add 3 ounces for the throw out bearing that was still sitting on the trunk.

Comment

Working...
                              X