E30 Euro Mtech I don't fit my car???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Euro Mtech I don't fit my car???

Alright I have a question for you guys, the guy who's installing my new front Mtech1 apron just called me and told me that the Euro Mtech apron doesn't fit my car. I drive an 1983 323i Euro, I can also give VIN# but only if needed. Is an 83 considered an "early E30", it surely look like one??? I thought it was considered as an early E30 so I purchased the apron. The picture below shows the current beatup bumper, I think the apron is a an old Zander apron for the early E30s with a euro bumper.

My bodytech told me that the new Mtech1 apron wider by a few inches and longer on the sides by also a few inches. He said that inorder for it to fit, he would have to cut it.

Any help will be good. Thanks.

BTW, I bought the bumper from these guys:
    Attached Files

Your car is an early model and if you were installing an original m-tech I front spoiler then I'd say 100% it would fit your car without issues.

However, since you're installing a fiberglass replica piece then there is the possibility that's its warped or out of shape, but I doubt it would be significantly so.

My guess would be your bodyman doesn't know how the m-tech 1 spoiler mounts and is trying to fit it the same way your zender spoiler is attached. Unlike the Zender spoiler the m-tech 1 spoiler attaches to the outside of the bumper. It sandwiches between the bumper and black bumper molding.

See the attached pics for some installation instructions. The instructions are not the most in depth but better than nothing.

You should check out Realoem.com as well so you can get the part numbers for the correct hardware, otherwise your "bodyman" will probably just use drywall screws

Click image for larger version

Name:	M-tech page 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	7137012

Name:	m-tech page 3.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	7137013

Name:	m-tech page 4.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	7137014

Name:	m-tech page 5.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	7137015

Comment

td325ic,

Thanks for the input. I'll connect with my bodytech guy and I'm sure he'll figure something out. :)
      BTW, where did you find the instructions?

Meng

Comment

Here are the realoem links, On the Mtech front and rear. The bumpers use different trim (its noted on there with "M TECHNIC")

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Us cars have 2 tow hooks one needs be removed. I think early cars sometimes had two as well.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by mini612 View Post

http://dtmfiberwerkz.com/access/euro...pron-p-47.html
            that's your problem right there.

If it was an original, it would fit your early model euro car without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
              Here are the realoem links, On the Mtech front and rear. The bumpers use different trim (its noted on there with "M TECHNIC")

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...75&hg=51&fg=15
              it has nothing to do with the trim, that is just because the valance overlaps the bumper and gives it a cleaner look.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
                it has nothing to do with the trim, that is just because the valance overlaps the bumper and gives it a cleaner look.
                I thought since it overlapped the bumper, that the trim was different. And thats why they have the other trim for it?

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

What to do...what to do? I emailed the supplier last night explaining the situation. When I was looking for this apron they said it should fit that's why I bought it, if I've known this I wouldn't have bought it. so now, where can I find an apron that will fit? My original apron is a zander and its messed up...I need either a zander or an mtech1 apron.

Comment

The end trim is different. One side is NLA. I believe the one that ends in 91 is NLA.
                    sigpic
                    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

I was looking through td325ic directions he put up and it shows what to cut on the trim.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

What to do...what to do? I emailed the supplier last night explaining the situation. When I was looking for this apron they said it should fit that's why I bought it, if I've known this I wouldn't have bought it. so now, where can I find an apron that will fit? My original apron is a zander and its messed up...I need either a zander or an mtech1 apron.
                        Can you get a photo showing exactly how it's not fitting? Your bodyman said it's a few inches longer and a few inches deeper, right? Even a fiberglass replica spoiler from DTMfiberwerkz is not going to be that far off. They make some questionable parts now and then but to be off by a few inches I have a hard time believing especially when DTM's rear M-tech 1 apron has a good review and fits well. See Netsck's review on the DTMfiberwerkz M-tech 1 rear apron.

From the sound of it, I'm willing to bet your bodyman is trying to mount the m-tech spoiler BEHIND the bumper, then it would make sense that it seems too large by a few inches.

Anyway to answer your questions, if your dead set on sourcing a genuine M-tech I front spoiler then try PM'ing "Sskoda" on here. Also check out e30zone.net. Keep in mind with shipping, a genuine M-tech I spoiler from overseas will be in the ballpark of around $400. The install instructions were from the E30 Repair manual. Here's a thread on e30tech that shows where to find it.

Comment

Any help will be good. Thanks.

http://dtmfiberwerkz.com/access/euro...pron-p-47.html
                          You DO NOT have a mtech I front bumper, that's why it doesn't fit. What you do have is a fiberglass replica. your body guy needs to do whatever he can to make it fit. my guess... it would have been cheaper to buy an original than trying to "make it fit"
                          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                            You DO NOT have a mtech I front bumper, that's why it doesn't fit. What you do have is a fiberglass replica. your body guy needs to do whatever he can to make it fit. my guess... it would have been cheaper to buy an original than trying to "make it fit"

Yes it's not an original Mtech 1 front apron and yes it's a fiberglass replica, but aren't the replicas suppose to be pretty close in size and shape? :(

I'll download some pictures in a bit and maybe you guys can assist from there.

Thanks.

Comment

photos of the installation

Any inputs?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X