Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has swapped M52 (i.e. not M50

Hi guys,

I'm getting more into swapping my M52 into my E30, and I was just wondering if anyone here has specifically done the M52 swap?

Cheers.

Drew.

I have. Permit has too
    San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Weeeeee.

Comment

Originally posted by permit
        Weeeeee.
        HDe30 elitist whore!

Comment

Psh, where the fuck are pictures of your new wheels?

Comment

new wheels have tires on them, but right now my car is too good for the round things we call wheels (i.e. it's on jack stands because I fucked up)

Comment

Cool...nice to hear from you guys.

I was just wondering how different did you find the M52 conversion to the well-documented M50?

The first thing I have come across is that when fitting an M50 E34 sump, I had to modify the baffle in the E34 sump to clear the M52s bearing cap cross-braces...you guys find this?

I'm also wondering, do I just use E36 M52 radiator hoses (different part number to M50)?

I guess what I'm getting at is, do I just follow the M50 documents and part numbers???

Cheers!

Comment

Bearing cap cross brace? Do you mean the sheet metal on the bearing cap that holds in the oil sump pick up tube? If so, I 'modified it' by bending the metal until it broke off. :D

I used M52 radiator hoses (I think all of them) including the coolant hardline. I did bypass the coolant hoses that go into the throttle body. Be sure to block off the rear crank position sensor (just keep the OBD2 sensor in the hole, don't plug in), use OBDI knock sensors, and install the OBD1 crank position sensor and crank pulley. I used the OBD1 intake manifold too (for more top end). I'm sure there is more to it, but I can't recall at the moment.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerToad
                  I used M52 radiator hoses (I think all of them) including the coolant hardline. ....... I used the OBD1 intake manifold too (for more top end).
                  Todd
                  i would really like to see some pics of the coolant hardline with the obd1 intake. i think the hardline is superior, but had clearance issues with the manifold brackets and harness clips. i ended up getting the AA adapter and running the obd1 soft line under the manifold. but next time........

cheers, jason

Comment

Bearing cap cross brace? Do you mean the sheet metal on the bearing cap that holds in the oil sump pick up tube? If so, I 'modified it' by bending the metal until it broke off. :D

I used M52 radiator hoses (I think all of them) including the coolant hardline. I did bypass the coolant hoses that go into the throttle body. Be sure to block off the rear crank position sensor (just keep the OBD2 sensor in the hole, don't plug in), use OBDI knock sensors, and install the OBD1 crank position sensor and crank pulley. I used the OBD1 intake manifold too (for more top end). I'm sure there is more to it, but I can't recall at the moment.

Todd
                    This is directly from an Aussie forum where I'm documenting my converion. You can see in one of the pics the braces I'm talking about.

Got the sump swap done today with the help of the Harrex's. It was meant to be straight forward (swap oil pick up tube and new gasket, new sump gasket and sump install)...however...because the M50 doesn't have the cross bracing on the bearing caps, the baffle in the M50 sump fouls on the braces.

So...out comes Pierce with the angle grinder:

Here's where we had to cut:

This was actually quite time consuming because we had to clean the sump thoroughly after every session with the grinder before trial fitting.

Here's the E34 oil pick up for the E34 M50 sump:

Note that the E39 M52 windage plate is not used with the E34 M50 sump.

And here's the finished product:

The modification to the oil baffle is the first (of I'm sure many!) unexpected subtle difference between the M52 and M50 swaps. I had never heard of people needing to modify the baffle before!

Next job is to make the outside of the engine look pretty. So that'll be time, Alu-Brite, and a brush!

I'm also in the process of sourcing the E36 6cyl engine arms. Once they arrive the engine itself would be physically ready to bold into the E30 chassis...but don't get to excited...there's still a tonne left before I can start pulling my car apart!
                    Thanks for the info on the hoses too. Re: the hardline, I'm going to be running ITBs from a euro M3 on a customised adapter plate...so hopefully the hardline won't be an issue....hopefully :D. Oh, that also means I'm going to run MSEFI...so OBD2 to OBD1 isn't an issue either.

Comment

That's going to be a pretty big adapter to use the ITBs, since the Euro cylinder head has circular ports, as opposed to the M5X ovals.

Comment

I had to modify the oil pan on both of my m50/s50 swaps. But instead of cutting the tray, i cut the rivets.
                        91 m3

Comment

That's going to be a pretty big adapter to use the ITBs, since the Euro cylinder head has circular ports, as opposed to the M5X ovals.
                          Nah, they're both oval...pretty close match too actually. If you go here you can see some of the early CAD work and everything: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=59179\

I had to modify the oil pan on both of my m50/s50 swaps. But instead of cutting the tray, i cut the rivets.
                          I thought about that, but the guys helping me decided cutting would be easier...I'm not sure if it was though :)

Comment

Modifying the pickup tube? Weird, I didn't have to do anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew325is
                              Nah, they're both oval...pretty close match too actually. If you go here you can see some of the early CAD work and everything: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=59179\
                              I saw that diagram of the oval and round intake ports and thought it was the S50 euro and M5X ports, but it looks like I was wrong...

Be sure to post pics and results once you get the project running! :D

Comment

Working...
                              X