Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why cant I run my M52 in OBD2 configuration on my swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why cant I run my M52 in OBD2 configuration on my swap?

I cannot, and have not, found a conclusive answer to this question.

I have a COMPLETE M52 OBD2 motor with everything I need for it to run on OBD2. Is there a reason I cannot get the motor to run in full OBD2 trim?

What obstacles do I face?

Any help would be appreciated.

EWS
    Originally posted by 325Projectz
    don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
    :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
      EWS

Yes and? Is that the only reason?

Again, i searched for quite a while, and came up with nothing.

Comment

well you can.... but i hope you like wiring...
        e30sport.net
        '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
        '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
        '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

You can, and it's been done.
          There are at least two cars I've seen on this forum that are running OBDII.

-Erik

Comment

OBD 2 sucks. Why would you use it? Wouldnt you save alot of trouble by converting to obd1 than get the thing working on 2?
            -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
              You can, and it's been done.
              There are at least two cars I've seen on this forum that are running OBDII.

-Erik

Do you know any of their user names here?? That would be most helpful! :D

Comment

Originally posted by So Live View Post
                OBD 2 sucks. Why would you use it? Wouldnt you save alot of trouble by converting to obd1 than get the thing working on 2?

Because I'm not interested in modding the motor until I have my funds lined up to do the rest of what I have planned.. (OBD1 swap and turbo).

Thanks!

Comment

Fair enough. Good luck bro. Document the shout of of what you have to do to make it work and then post it here!
                  -Chris

Comment

OBD 2 sucks.
                    Wrong. Totally wrong.

The Siemens OBDII ECU is 10 times more powerful than the OBDI Bosch one.

Unfortunately, it's also harder for the DIY-er to program and adapt to work with a non-stock setup.

For now, OBDI is the way to go, but eventually it will be worth it to swap in an OBDII ECU.

Comment

That was purely personal opinion. Im the diy type and like the fact that i can tune it if i wanted to. I agree with you that the computer is better but untill an OBDII ecu can be tuned as easily and as cheaply as the OBDI i dont see OBDII catching on in the "tuner" crowd and for people with cars like ours.

Sorry i offended you.

OT: Hows that ICV?
                      -Chris

Comment

That was purely personal opinion. Im the diy type and like the fact that i can tune it if i wanted to. I agree with you that the computer is better but untill an OBDII ecu can be tuned as easily and as cheaply as the OBDI i dont see OBDII catching on in the "tuner" crowd and for people with cars like ours.

Sorry i offended you.

OT: Hows that ICV?
                        I'm not offended... I just want to keep people's minds open to different ECUs.

Haven't used the ICV yet. Not sure if I really need to swap it.

Comment

You can use all the OBDII stuff. Here is a couple of pics of my engine bay:

Here is how you do it:

It is from e30.de. If you are not good on the german, there are page translators out there.

All you are gonna need is: (this stuff have to come from the same car as the engine; ie match with the ecu)
                          EWS-II ecu
                          Antenna
                          Signal-booster
                          Key

Then you need to make 5-10 connections (depending on how much you want to have working; ie Diagnose and more) which is pretty basic stuff.
                          The wiring is described detailed in the link. If you can't figure out the german stuff i can help with that...

Comment

Wow thats a sick bay.

I did the same thing with the ICV.
                            -Chris

Comment

Sounds like i'm screwed. I dont have the ECU/antenna/signal booster/key from the original car, as this was a "mail order" motor.

Looks like I'll just have to pony up for the OBD1 stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X