Camara guys advice plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camara guys advice plz

Ok I am looking for a little bit of advice here. In the next month or so, I am going to be taking the plunge back into the SLR game, have not been in a position to get into the DSLR game till recently.

I think I have things Narrowed to 3 models Nikon D90, D5100, and Cannon 60D.

Mostly be used on hiking, hunting, horse, and driving trips for catching critters and land scape mostly.

I have handled all 3 of these at our local big box stores, all the prices I can get them for if I go new are with in a couple of hundred bucks of each other. The 5100 kit comes with 2 "kit lenses" the others are singles 18-200 ish IIRC.

I really like how the full size handle but the lower weight and small over all package of the 5100 is appealing as it will take up less space and less weight in my pack.

I guess what I am looking for is some real world opinions of you guys that have been dealing with these things for a while, as my last SLR was Minolta Maxxim 5000 35mm. and shit has really changed.

thanks
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 09-01-2011, 12:47 AM.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

I haven't had much experience outside of nikon but I started on a D80 (older version of the D90) and it was a great camera. If you're looking into DSLRs then I'm assuming you're wanting quality pictures so don't let weight be too much of a deciding factor. When I got my D300 I stopped using my D80 even though the D300 was much heavier just because of the better picture quality and additional picture controls.

As for lenses... decide how much money you want to spend in the beginning and what you'll be taking pictures of the most. My first lens was a 18-200 mm F 3.5-5.something, it was very versatile but for "quality" pictures with a bigger aperture (smaller F-stop number) they get much pricier. Although, nikon offers a F 1.8 50mm lens (fixed) that gives great pictures for a low price.
    09/1989 325i 4 Door
    +M30 Swap
    +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

I have a D90 and absolutely love it. Video on it is awesome and its the perfect size imo.. I have carried it a lot in a pack and its not that bulky or heavy. It does not have a pop out screen like the 5100 does but personally I dont care for the moving screen.

and I dont know hardly anything of Canon so cannot say anything about the 60D

my vote is d90 but i am biased!
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I own a d90, d300 and d700 along with many lenses like the 85 f1.4, 70-200vr, etc.

Honestly the body doesn't make a whole lot of difference. All of the current Nikon and Canon bodies are very capable. However the D90 is getting to be pretty old now and has effectively been replaced by the D7000. With the D5100 you will not be able to use the older "screw drive" lenses. That being said, you should probably be thinking a little bit more about what lens(es) you want. Personally I would recommend taking a look at the Nikon 35mm F1.8 DX (200 new) (which would make for a very capable and lightweight combination with the D5100) and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (around 350 used). Also the older 18-70 kit lens has very good IQ and can be found for around 165. I'm not really a fan of the superzooms like the 18-200, because they have relatively poor IQ, are still pretty heavy, and are relatively expensive.
        1989 325i Alpineweiß II

Comment

Just my 2 cents... but I have found my family's D3100 to be a capable DSLR

Comment

Thank you guys, lots consider. As far as glass goes, the kit lenses will have to suffice for a little while. I have no issues spending money on Glass, so a Zeiss or Up level Nikor, that will suit my needs is not an issue when the time comes that I have got a reasonable mastery of the theory again.

So its kinda a toss up between the 5100 and the D90 for you guys huh? The lack of a AF motor in the 5100 seem like a big draw back to anyone... and more of a reason to lean into a d90, or is there enough good glass out there that have built in AF drivers??

I guess I should mention, I will have to be clearing some space in my pack for all this stuff so yeah weight is not my biggest concern its more over all size. Its not a big huge #1 priority, as if that were the case I would be going with a Pan 4/3's and all the leica glass to be had for that sensor.

kit lenses with the 5100 are 18-55 and 55-300 AF-S DX VR's Which I think will be fairly versatile to at least get a handle on this shit again lol.

again thanks guys
            Last edited by mrsleeve; 09-01-2011, 01:28 AM.
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Personally I wouldn't worry about having the screw drive capability. Nikon has really improved it's lineup of AF-S lenses over the past few years. The downside is that if you want to ever upgrade to pro glass, there will be no middle step. The older screw drive lenses are an affordable way to get into the 2.8 zooms and fast primes.

I think the D90 is about 3 years old now and while the D5100 is a lower model, the IQ will be better because of the newer sensor.
              1989 325i Alpineweiß II

Comment

Question.

Is there a budget for lenses and such? Or total budget? I ask because I think many are always looking for a 'new' body and do not consider the used market much. dSLRs are stout and last a long time. I am still using my 40Ds and I am a published motorsport photographer. Money into the glass is much more important. Could end up spending 1/2 the cost and get a nice used body.

Just an idea.

Also you are looking at Nikon and Canon so I assume you don't have any lenses currently? So starting from scratch?

Comment

If you can't stretch your budget then the 5100 is the way to go. The sensor is really great. I currently use the D7000 and would recommend that if you can stretch your budget but don't want to go to full frame.

Old cameras will still work great, but technology comes a long ways that I would start with something new. Of course lenses still make the most difference overall.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

^ and ^^

Yes starting from scratch. Budget is initially a kit in the price range we are talking here. After a while glass budget will be what ever it has too be for my needs. I dont have issues spending money on good optical glass. I have been looking into the used market (ebay and Clist mostly) as far as D90's go there is some money to be saved, but not substantially. If I am going to jump back into it I would like to go with some of the newest tech I can in my price range to serve me as long as possible up grade the glass as I go.

I have thought about going up to the 7000, I really like the way it handles and so on a touch more than the 5100, but you get many of the same features and damm near the same sensor for 2/3 the cost in the 5100. And for me right now that is concern.

thanks guys

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                      If you can't stretch your budget then the 5100 is the way to go. The sensor is really great. I currently use the D7000 and would recommend that if you can stretch your budget but don't want to go to full frame.

Old cameras will still work great, but technology comes a long ways that I would start with something new. Of course lenses still make the most difference overall.
                      Yah and they put out a new camera that those with the old one say it is better. 40D to 50D anyone? I got he opposite way. I think a lot of people use new cameras and other gear as a crutch. I know of plenty of people that keep upgrading and changing and upgrading in a quest for better photos. I think photogs need to learn to actually use their gear. Really use it. Know how it works. What everything does. etc

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                      ^ and ^^

Yes starting from scratch. Budget is initially a kit in the price range we are talking here. After a while glass budget will be what ever it has too be for my needs. I dont have issues spending money on good optical glass. I have been looking into the used market (ebay and Clist mostly) as far as D90's go there is some money to be saved, but not substantially. If I am going to jump back into it I would like to go with some of the newest tech I can in my price range to serve me as long as possible up grade the glass as I go.

I have thought about going up to the 7000, I really like the way it handles and so on a touch more than the 5100, but you get many of the same features and damm near the same sensor for 2/3 the cost in the 5100. And for me right now that is concern.

thanks guys
                      I am not talking used of what is still being sold new. I am talking about getting say a Canon 40D. Grip it. Get some decent glass. It will take wonderful shots. It's robust. It's a nice camera. You will end up with better photos with the better glass in front of it than a new camera with some 'kit' lens.

Comment

Yes, I agree that upgrading to the "new" cameras is usually for people that brag or just want to spend money. But he doesn't have any DSLR. Might as well start with a better technology camera with a warranty.

Comment

^
                          lack of Warranty is a little bit of a concern when going used but defiantly not opposed to the idea.

Dinan
                          I will look into that route a bit deeper, it was my original plan but then I got playing with new stuff and though what the hell why not just start with new.

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                            Yes, I agree that upgrading to the "new" cameras is usually for people that brag or just want to spend money. But he doesn't have any DSLR. Might as well start with a better technology camera with a warranty.

And skimp on the glass which is FAR more important. I am speaking from personal and professional experience. Warranty is meh. I think a vast majority of users outside of those getting down and dirty do no realize how strong and well put together a dSLR is. I use my cameras. They get wet. They get dirty. I clean them and take care of them. I have sold my old cameras and they are STILL working to this day. Local friend got my XTi and I had already used it for two years. Still good.

I would include warranty coverage one of the least important things.

I shot with my 40Ds in this... it was red flagged within minutes. Went back to the car. Dried everything off. Was back out there when we went back to green flag... both still function as new today.

1 Grand Am Bosch 250 VIR Brumos Porsche 59 Saturday 1 by MotorSportMedia - www.racemsm.com, on Flickr

Comment

I'm not doubting the abilities of old cameras. If budget is a huge concern, then get whatever is cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X