BMW GINA Light Visionary Model Concept Car Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW GINA Light Visionary Model Concept Car Revealed

Bringing car buyers and enthusiasts automotive news coverage with high-res images and video from car shows and reveals around the world.

Would you like to have a car that can assume different shapes? You may think technology has not gone so far, but complicated things can be made out of simple ideas. Just check out the images on this article. They may seem to refer to different vehicles, but they are only different views BMW’s new concept car, a vehicle that can do exactly this, or else, change its shape in many ways. The Bavarian automaker has named it GINA Light Visionary Model Concept Car. And the car can assume different shapes due to the material its body is built from: cloth.

The fabric is placed over a meshwork of metal wires that can move, controlled by eletro-hydraulic devices. As you can imagine, this is the way the car finds to change its shape as many times as the person behind the wheel decides to do so. GINA, which stands for Geometry and Functions In “N” Adaptions, does not change only the exterior, but also the interior. We believe describing the process may not be as interesting as seeing the video above, in which you can see Chris Bangle explaining the concept, even though it is not necessary, since GINA explains itself quite better.

Although it is very unlikely that such a car ever finds its way into production lines, GINA can surely help BMW shape its future vehicles as a design exercise. What, for example, if its style was to be found in the new Z4? It probably will. Considering the car body can change, it may have helped BMW designers decide what lines looked better on the car.

Built over a Z8 platform, and probably equipped with the same V8 engine (it surely is a V8 engine under the cloth bonnet), the car is all about thinking automobiles in a different way. And it has arrived in just the right time, considering petrol prices and all the changes the human mobility, and therefore cars, are about to go through.

(more images on the above link)

saved.

That's insane. I recall when talks in electro-modified paint that changes color on a potentiometer was nuts. This is bat shit insanity.

Now, imagine when a 'vert top fails and cables and such, now think of this cars body.

Comment

looks like somebody got a little photoshop happy with the z4. cool none the less.

Comment

the only thing I don't like about it is the trunk
        sigpic

Comment

I saw the slit running down the hood and now all I can think is vaGINA when I look at it. Anyone else?
          i'lldoitforacaravan

Comment

It fucking winked at me...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
              It fucking winked at me...
              Haha, in the M1 thread:

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

I want to put my Z3M in it's hood...
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

did that car just wink at me?
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

wow
                  Build Threads:
                  Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

It's called GINA... it has a prolonged orifice on its hood...

They couldn't have not seen that coming, really.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Pretty damn slick that they made that to have a framework that can change the shape/ body lines of the car. To bad they didn't give a better representation of something other than it looking like a Z4 though...

Also I guess on another note, you wouldn't have to worry about it getting keyed or door dinged while at the mall, but rather it being CUT !!!

Comment

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-g...teaser/844120/
                        Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                        Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

I think this is incredible, and having Chris Bangle actually explain the idea behind the car is really something to listen closely to.

Here it is in action (watch it in full screen):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Cool idea but awful execution.
                            Byron
                            Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              It's called GINA... it has a prolonged orifice on its hood...

So... Car sex with GINA? Will that be legal? Just asking, no intentions.
                              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                              e30 restoration and V8 swap
                              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
                              X