Shorter strut inserts - what to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorter strut inserts - what to get?

So I've been running my GE coil over conversion on my billy sports with cut bump stops and the shitty ride at the height I'm at is starting to annoy me...

What I'm looking at doing is getting some shorter inserts and sectioning the housings but I'm unsure of which shocks I should run... I've heard of people running IX inserts and corrado inserts but I'd like some part numbers if anyone has any handy. I'd prefer to run billys or konis, whichever can get me a shorter insert that I know will work.

If anybody has experience with this please share....
    90 318i M62B44 OBD1
    02 530i Touring (Airlift 3P)

Are you running the 4" or 6" springs? Also have you hade the shocks revalved... that could be part of the issue. Unless your slammed than custom valved ix shocks may be perfect!

Comment

He's running 6" springs. You can buy the bilstein ix inserts (they only make one model for the ix) which is 3" shorter then standard inserts. Or you can buy some custom valved koni adjustable corrado inserts from ground control which are 4" shorter. 3rd option if you plan on getting some serious track time might be to get some koni race inserts. I personally prefer Bilstein and will be running re-valved ix inserts. If you can find a blown used set of them like i did get them re-valved. Here is my custom order information in case you guys want a starting point. Its more of a street/auto x setup. Less compression and more rebound.

Last edited by einstein57; 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

My shocks have been at Bilstein for three weeks and was told it would be another three weeks. Don't go in to this thinking it will be a quick turnaround!
        Originally posted by blunttech
        Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

What would the valving be like on the IX bilsteins with my 450/650 setup? Would the Twin tube koni 8641-1144SPT for IX maybe be a better bet without revalving? They would cost me about $100-120 more for the pair but if they would be a better setup out of the box i might just go that...
          90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

I have both B6 iX and B8 non-iX bilsteins. The iX inserts are exactly the same as the non-iX inserts except they are 85mm short in the body. Basically everything above the threaded retaining nut is the same (except the thread pitch as you can see in the pics). Valving and bumps stops may be different

The iX Billies are 34-002513 which supercedes P36-0251. I purchased them from eShocks.com, but Turner Motorsport has cheaper postage.

I have had the B8 shock dynoed. I'd like to get the iX dynoed, but I am not sure if I can get it done. Certainly not in a hurry.

*edit* premature posting and edits to the text above made. oops

pics added.

For Bilsteins, I reckon revalving is pretty well essential for 450lb front springs. You can trial the iX inserts out of the box and later revalve. I may do this. Like you I'll be using 450/650lb. My other E30 will be 350/450 with the stock non-iX Bilsteins.

For revalving you have a few options.

1. Order through them thru a US Bilstein dealer such as the Shock Shop, and get the shock shop to send them to Bilstein to revalve.

2. Order them from the US and get them revalved in Oz. The best mob to revalve is Sydney Bilstein (who did my 2002 Bilsteins) or Baker Bros in Melbourne (if interested I can pm details). Bakers know their stuff and do a lot of racers shocks including V8 Supercars. Given you are in Brisbane, you could get Murray Coote (MCA) to revalve the Billies. Murray builds his own Proflex style shocks. Gary Baker and Murray Coote are the best in Oz of the regular Bilstein fellas ... Full stop!

About the Konis, I have not had experience and cannot comment. A lot of fellas recommend out of the box E30 konis (including Simon Harrex you'd know) but Corrado would have different valving.

I have VW golf shocks in the 2002 that have been revalved. The stock Golf billies are half OK for the 2002 but I am a believer in getting the proper valving rather than compromise.

Attached Files
            Last edited by dsm2002; 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

If your buying new, the ix inserts are not worth re-valving but if you like the way the car rides when you raise the car up now 2" then that's how the ride quality would be with the ix inserts at your lowest driveable setting. Bilstein offered a shock dyno for an extra $35 but I felt it was not worth it at this point till I dial in my suspension. I might go through a few sets of inserts before I'm 100% satisfied. They do have dyno specs on the factory inserts.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
              My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

I'm running IX bilsteins with GC 500/750. I sectioned 2" out of my housings, and cut the bumpstops. So far the valving seems fine. Honestly, the car feels better than my H&R Race/Bilstein setup. For $220 shipped a pair on the front IX inserts you can't go wrong.
                -tim
                Originally posted by Jordan
                I like the stance
                -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
                  I'm running IX bilsteins with GC 500/750. I sectioned 2" out of my housings, and cut the bumpstops. So far the valving seems fine. Honestly, the car feels better than my H&R Race/Bilstein setup. For $220 shipped a pair on the front IX inserts you can't go wrong.
                  Thats good to know, ive ordered a pair of IX inserts, just waiting for them to get more stock to fill my order. With 2 inches removed, how low can you get before you start closing in on the stock bump stops? Are they the bigger bump stops like in the regular e30 bilstein HDs?
                  90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

The bumpstops are the same length as the regular Bilsteins. Overall I believe they were 3". And the shaft itself only has 3" of travel on top of that. No matter what I recommend cutting the bumpstop down.

As for the question of low, it is all relative to what you have, and what you consider low. I run 16x9 et15 with a 215/40 all around. The coils are adjusted all the way down, and I still do not bottom out. Overall I am satisfied with where the car sits, and how it handles and rides. I would say that the limiting factor to go even lower in the front is the spring length.

The cutting of the strut and insert choice simply moves around your useable damper zone. The font spring seat can only be attached so low. Otherwise it will 'hit the tire' in my scenario. So there is only a certain amount of low you can go without getting shorter springs.
                    -tim
                    Originally posted by Jordan
                    I like the stance
                    -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Working...
                    X