It's like the same but different! My 528e build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's like the same but different! My 528e build

Two months ago I was browsing the myE28 forums and I came across this parts car which just happened to be another 1986 Burgundrot 528e, even has the same build month! My current project was going downhill as far as maintenance and bodywork so I decided it was best to abandon ship and I couldn't be happier!

The original deal was just the rolling shell minus interior, gas tank and all 5spd swap parts but I ended up getting the engine too. The plan is to swap over all over my best parts from the donor car and my parts stash and slowly get it to "like new". Short term goal is to get it driving so I can participate in some local car meets!

This is gonna be another "college budget" build until I get a real job after next winter but for now I have enough parts and resources to feed this project for a while. I'll be organizing a to-do list and update it on this first post.

My old 02/86 Burgundrot 528e

My new 02/86 Burgundrot 528e

I loved the character of my old car but its gonna be so nice to be in a clean E28 again! :D

Exterior:
    Front license plate bracket
    Fog light lens
    Tweak drivers front fender (pushed in slightly)

Engine Bay:
    Coolant tank
    Fuel line to intake
    All 5spd swap items
    Complete exhaust
    Sway bar bolts

Interior:
    Pedals and bracket
    Steering Collin mounts
    Steering wheel
    Center console with all accessories including cig lighter wiring
    Ebrake console
    Premium sound wiring rear harness
    All door trim
    B pillar trim
    Swap Pearl Beige carpet
    Glove box
    Ecu
    Rear shelf
    Gauge cluster
    Swap Dash

Trunk Area:
    Trunk light
    All trunk carpet and liner
    Fuel lines to evaporator
    Gas tank with sending unit

For the future!
    Custom dual exhaust with cross over and magnaflow muffler
    Vinyl wrap (until I can afford a real paint job ;))
    Repaint Black trim (thinking glossy?)
    Redo chrome
    Get tiny dents pulled
    Spax Lowering springs with Billy Sport struts
    15" E34 Style 5s, may move up to 16" E38 wheels though.
    KA Motors intake
    Hella H4/H1 headlight conversion
    Extra Brake light and side turn signal mod
    Replace headliner

Also for anyone interested the full photo gallery will be available here: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A9GWZuqDGvQy9J
    Chris Y.
    BMWCCA #458972
    1986 528e - Daily Build | 1985 528i - Performance Build

WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

i work in the recycling industry and i see beauties like this get scraped all the time breaks my heart. Glad to see you saved her. Good luck with your build. :up:

Comment

I'm all about keeping them on the road! I've only parted out my previous two 528e's because they have been non-repairable or at least without great expense and skills I don't have. I look forward to keeping this one!
      Chris Y.
      BMWCCA #458972

Comment

Long overdue update...

Happy New Year, so here is a long overdue update to my build thread! I never took pics/posted when I threw the trans/interior in but here is a small update on whats going on with the car. It was involved in a minor accident so now I have yet again another E28 with front end damage (seemingly unavoidable for me :()

Since my brother needed a vehicle to drive while he was on winter break from school and I was gonna be driving to Madison 6 times in two weeks I got the car finally registered and started driving it so I could save some money on fuel as I daily a 1998 C1500HD 6.5l Turbo Diesel Suburban for winter.

The car as it sat.

Scored a set of 15" Blizzaks at work so I threw them on the E34 Style 5's. The wheels need to be straightened a little bit as I had a bead leak on one, but otherwise look great on the car!

Replaced the bulb that was broken in the accident, here is the damage to the core support and headlight bucket :(

Interior shot, car still has the llama carpet in (actually has two carpets??) which will be switched out

All ready to go!

First fill up! Can't remember the last time I had the pump stop at $35!!

This was all from December 14th, I drove the car to Beloit the next morning with no issues until last week I lost one of the exhaust clamps fell off. While on my very noisy drive to Madison the car popped out of 5th gear and I couldn't get it back into anything but 4th, something must have rattled apart in the shifter linkage. Keep in mind I put a whole $15 in misc. bolts from the hardware store to get this thing driving, reused worn shifter/clutch etc.

But the good news is I finally have a shop space!! :D I towed the car up there Sunday night and once I move all my parts/tools up there and get settled in I'll start disassembling the car so I can put in a new clutch. I'll pull the engine/trans out so I can work on the front end (looking at sourcing a parts car for panels and core support). Depending on how fast progress goes I'll put work into the interior. My plan is to have Sunday be "shop day" as I'll always have something to do between my two cars and truck.
        Chris Y.
        BMWCCA #458972

Comment

wow cool i really wish i bought a e28 instead of an e30 but oh well...

Comment

Working...
          X