X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That interior is pretty delicious.

What steering wheel is that too? Looks great

Comment

Hey guys, I'be been sailing since about 3pm yesterday. I took a small trip from Los Angeles Harbor to San Diego Harbor and we're still about 6 miles from land, but I have some nice updates that I was able to get done over the course of a few hours yesterday.

Soon.

Sailing is nuts. I've seen some things.
      world renown Harry Potter expert
      sigpic

Comment

I envy you, you glorious bastard. Nice score.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Very cool! I need to own one of these someday...
          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
            first

looks pretty good. definitely a diamond in the rough!
            Very stoked on this car. I'm really excited for this one.

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            He hit the tire.

Nice pickup!
            Thanks GG!

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
            This one needs E21 Recaro's.
            Considering it. I never liked e21 recaros in 2002s. I've had 7 or 8 sets of those seats and I always sell them off. But now that I picture it, it might be a great match for the car, if I can get a solid vinyl match on the saddle color.

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
            Neat story, neat car ....

Those seats.... I gave away the original seats from my my car (early tabacco with the chrome sides. Had some tears and very little horse hair left) to a friendly guy who said they were for his wife, this would have been four years ago or so. ... I wonder .....

BTY I have a set of E21 recaros being finished up this week. Black and tweed.
            Thanks Andrew. Very unlikely since this car was owned by the same woman since 2005. There isn't much mention of upgrades that I know of. but you never know.

On the recaros, I'll likely go a different route and have the stock seats redone. But finding the stock vinyl texture is proving very difficult.

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
            Nice find! Keep this one OEM or OEM plus, but you already know that.
            Already on it. See photos below.

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
            Malaga is my favorite '02 color
            It was one of my least favorites but I've turned a new corner. I actually really love the color once the car is done correctly.

A good friend Mike Berger once told me to buy the car in the best condition, regardless of color. I think he was right. This car has so much going for it that the color comes second to condition, and the condition is stellar.

And this all coming from Mike, who won many concourse awards with his Bronzit e28 535iS.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
            Looks fun! Great find.
            Thank you!

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
            Loving the color combo!
            Yew!

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
            sweeeet. im assuming this one is staying stock? being a TII and all
            Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
            we need a r3v 02 photoshoot
            Stock-ish. I'll leave what is currently on the car and upgrade the wear items.

Originally posted by thestein1016 View Post
            You have a malaga 02 and I have a malaga Bavaria.
            We have sisters
            Hello, I would like to see your car.

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
            Id have move the cali :(

Man you find so much cool shit. Cant wait to see where this one goes
            Me either, and thank you!

Originally posted by MouseRat View Post
            That interior is pretty delicious.

What steering wheel is that too? Looks great
            No idea on the steering wheel. I ripped it out for my old blue car's steering wheel. I bent it back into shape as best as I could. Maybe it's better if I remove it and just leave it on the wall. But for now, it's much better than what the car came with.

Here are a few photos of quick progress yesterday:

I first removed all the black carpeting in the trunk and did some clean up and it's very nice under there. I'll end up redoing the entire trunk in the coming weeks. I'm surprised how nice the elephant skin vinyl is. I still haven't washed anything, just a quick dust and vacuum.

Then I swapped the steering wheel for the death wheel and fixed the glove box. I also pulled the rear seats and cleaned up, and vacuumed everything. So far so good. I'll end up getting new carpet in this car as well.

After doing a few things at the shop, I drove the car to Doctor Detail in Costa Mesa. For $225, they will put the car on an outdoor lift and steam clean/pressure wash the entire undercarriage and wheel wells. Then they will clean the engine bay as well. I left the car for a few hours and then quickly drove it back to the shop without inspection (I was late for sailing at this point). I managed to snap one photo of the engine bay at this time.

I like it. I will take all the aluminum back to it's original finish, and I'll have the airbox powdercoated. I will make the engine bay stock again - no more crinkle paint.

I'm heading back there for some more work now.
            sigpic

Comment

Wow R3v is becoming weak.

Pics of Smokin Hot Ex-GF????

nice car too
              1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
              1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
              1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
              1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

This will help with making the radiator plastic look nice if you dont plan to replace it. - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=313368

Also painting the strut bar will help the engine bay out a lot.

Excited to see progress on this one.
                Current:
                1989 325i
                1988 M3
                1987 325ic
                Past:
                2001 330ci
                2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
                  This will help with making the radiator plastic look nice if you dont plan to replace it. - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=313368

How dare you, there is no plastic on a 2002 radiator.
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

How dare you, there is no plastic on a 2002 radiator.
                    Is that metal on top? Nevermind then :)
                    Current:
                    1989 325i
                    1988 M3
                    1987 325ic
                    Past:
                    2001 330ci
                    2001 M3

Comment

I crawled under the car and took a bunch of photos. I confirmed that I has a LSD, and did the gearing test. Turns out I have an über rare 3.64LSD. I'm so thoroughly pumped right now.

I have have an extra 3.91lsd and a really really nice 3.64lsd on the shelf.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                        I crawled under the car and took a bunch of photos. I confirmed that I has a LSD, and did the gearing test. Turns out I have an über rare 3.64LSD. I'm so thoroughly pumped right now.

I have have an extra 3.91lsd and a really really nice 3.64lsd on the shelf.

Uber rare e21 3.64 lsd or über über rare 2002 3.64 lsd ?
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Hey you know what kind of application to motor that type of gearing is perfect for?

;D

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Uber rare e21 3.64 lsd or über über rare 2002 3.64 lsd ?
                            e21 of course. I don't think the US ever got an LSD option in 3.64. Even the turbo had a longer ratio and LSD was an option on those as well.

But yeah, e21. Regardless, way stoked.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                            Hey you know what kind of application to motor that type of gearing is perfect for?

;D
                            HEY NO I DON'T BUT PLEASE, INDULGE MY SENSES WITH YOUR SUGGESTIONS ABDU. PLS.

Here are photos from earlier today. I crawled under the car, on top of the car, inside the car, and snapped all kinds of wacky photos.

This was from this morning. I was consolidating boxes in the garage and tried to reorganize. I have a decent collection of grilles now. I have another 4 or 5 sets in storage.

And here are photos specific to the Getrag 245 5-speed swap, in no particular order. I noticed this trans has a 4 bolt output shaft. I usually come across the 3 bolt variant. Also, I need to replace the CSB.

These shots are of the front set up. I took these mostly to see the condition of the calipers. I have a very sizable June 2014 invoice from La Jolla Independent that claims rebuilt tii calipers. Seems to coincide with their claim.

And a few of the rear subframe/diff/suspension:

LSD:

Then I decided to clean up the bumpers. Some 0000 steel wool and metal polish did the trick. The bumpers are in excellent condition.

Now I need to figure out what can be done with the paint on the top panels.

And this is a very early locking gas cap from 68-69. I want to get the broken piece of the key out and use this on my 68 1600. Hopefully it all works out.

That's all I have from today. Very productive.
                            sigpic

Comment

My dad had this exact same car. 1973 tii malaga. This will give him all the feels to see another one is still around.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
                              1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
                              BMW

Comment

No one got my Judge Judy reference of "he hit the tire" - Oh well.
                                Originally posted by Matt-B
                                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                                X