1973 BMW 2002 tii - Judge Judy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1973 BMW 2002 tii - Judge Judy

New Project: 1973 Malaga Red 2002 tii. Numbers matching car, original nose, original tail, very little rust (a few bubbles on hood and passenger fender), and super optioned.

I had the car towed home from San Diego this morning. It was a very easy process with AAA's premier roadside assistance package. The car was towed about 87 miles, which if you have this package, you know that each tow has a maximum distance limit of 100 miles, so this was near the distance limit. It was so nice to not pay.

I took a bunch of photos today before I dive in, and I'll post them below.

A brief history on the car: For many years, it belonged to a Superior Judge of San Diego. The car was known as "The Judge" under his ownership. He then gave the car to his son, who had it for a period of time, then sold it to an independent bmw shop owner. Under the shop owner's ownership, the engine was rebuilt, 5-speed added, LSD added, suspension tech springs, IE swaybars, a cool strut bar, H4 Headlights, and a bitchin sound system (which I'm pulling out). I'm sure it has more upgrades, but these were the ones I was able to confirm. After 5-7 years with the car, he sold it to a very nice woman who kept the car for 10 years. I purchased it from this very nice woman, and have agreed to bring the car back to her former glory. My story starts today.

I have receipts for major work completed through La Jolla Independent and Another shop called Independent, also owned by an ex-employee at LJI. This particular car is well known by various shop owners and all have suggested that it has been mechanically taken care of. This is perfect because my knowledge of the fine inner workings of engines is very limited. But I can make a car pretty, so that's what I'll do.

How I came to acquire the car: Super bowl Sunday, a buddy called me down to SD to do some morning surfing. I said yes and shot over there in my little green car. We surfed and surfed and surfed and surfed then we ate tacos and he told me about this little 2002 that I might be interested in. Naturally I was curious, so we bombed up the hill to say hello to the owner, and peek at the car. I was able to meet with the owner right there, expressed interest in the car, and a few minutes later, agreed the purchase. It was not planned, but I am very pleased with how quickly things came together. Now the car is under my ownership and I will do what I do to these old girls.

Given the car's judicial history, a smokin' hot ex girlfriend of mine suggested I rename her Judy (as in Judge Judy). I lol'd and died a little inside but agreed to keep the name. So that's her name now. Judy. There are multiple layers of irony in the name Judy, being that my own record isn't very clean, and I have a concealed carry weapon permit, which will never be issued in San Diego County, and is apart of a very high-profile case regarding citizen gun ownership laws. I'm not adamant about carrying a gun, but I do think it ironic the car now belongs to a person who likely has an opposing view on the issue. It's perfect.

The car runs great, but I noticed a slight coolant trickle from behind the kugelfischer pump. So instead of driving her home, I felt that towing was a better option. I do not regret this decision.

Here are a few photos after I put her into the Costa Mesa shop. Special thanks to Mike P. for being instrumental in my decisions.

Last edited by phreshkid; 02-11-2016, 09:17 PM.
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

first

looks pretty good. definitely a diamond in the rough!
    cars beep boop

Comment

I knew there would be a build thread. I was waiting. Subscribed.
      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

He hit the tire.

Nice pickup!
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

This one needs E21 Recaro's.
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Neat story, neat car ....

Those seats.... I gave away the original seats from my my car (early tabacco with the chrome sides. Had some tears and very little horse hair left) to a friendly guy who said they were for his wife, this would have been four years ago or so. ... I wonder .....

BTY I have a set of E21 recaros being finished up this week. Black and tweed.
            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Nice find! Keep this one OEM or OEM plus, but you already know that.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I was going to say did you get this car from Pasadena but you said San diego.

Comment

Malaga is my favorite '02 color

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                  --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Looks fun! Great find.

Comment

Loving the color combo!

Comment

sweeeet. im assuming this one is staying stock? being a TII and all

Comment

we need a r3v 02 photoshoot

Comment

You have a malaga 02 and I have a malaga Bavaria.
                            We have sisters
                            Track Car Build:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=365614

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                              we need a r3v 02 photoshoot

Id have move the cali :(

Man you find so much cool shit. Cant wait to see where this one goes

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                              X