No announcement yet.

Will this exhaust setup work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's two pictures, the first shows how the holes line up to the edge of the valence and why the tips won't fit without modification.

Second is after they're glued back on at about a 20 degree angle. They're perfectly centered in the valence and I like the tilt to the side better than sticking straight out, anyway.

I'll take the muffler off and repaint it at some point.
    Attached Files

Comment

nice. now do you have any sound clips?
      [PAKSIW]
      20D .........
      vmwerks :up:
      ryan gmw :up:

Comment

Hoveringuy if you could snap a lower picture to show how much it actually hangs/tucks from the rear valence it would be much appreciated!

Also, how did you mount it? When I had plans to run my 98 m3 muffler I was going to use the e36 muffler mounts and retrofit it using the e30s donut hanger and cutting it half way and using the male portion of the e36 mounts and have them welded. So this way I could hang it using the retaining metal/washer with the nut.

Thanks.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
          I'm putting in an s50 and plan to use the stock s50 manifolds to some midpipes from the same '95 m3 to an Ireland Engineering (ebay) stainless cat-back.
          You bare getting an Ireland e30 catback, or an e36 catback?

On one swap I've done, I used stock exhaust manifolds to stock OBD1 midpipe/cat, to an e30 Super Sprint catback. I had to make some pipes to connect the catback to the midpipes as there was a 10" or so gap.

We had to modify the midpipes a little to clear the swaybar and CAB, but if you get the THR eyeball arms, you shouldn't have to worry about the CAB clearance.

Erik

Comment

It looks slightly like a pregnant guppy from the back.

To install it, I used the stock O-ring in the front and welded the hangar to the e36 clamp. I bolted the complete e36 hanger through the floor trunk for the rear location.

I got to follow my own car yesterday and it sounded pretty nice. Not loud or obnoxious in any regard, but a nice growl and slight popping on decel. No highway drone or raspiness whatsoever. It's a heavier exhaust, but it sounds quality.

BTW, I was following in my brother's 993. I could keep up, but had to lean on it pretty good.
            Attached Files

Comment

looks good.. i'll be hitting you up when i get my sway in, up and running.
              [PAKSIW]
              20D .........
              vmwerks :up:
              ryan gmw :up:

Comment

I tried fitting my UUC exhaust yesterday and realized I was going to have the same problem - that area where the jack stores at would hit the muffler. Looks like you did a good job making it work though!

I think I'm going the route that Erik went by using an E30 325i exhaust. I'm leaning towards Scorpion if their pipes are big enough (the UUC had two 2 1/4" pipes). Then I'll adapt that to the OBD II cats and manifolds.
                -Brandon
                '86 325es S50
                '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                  I have OBD2 manifolds>OBD2 mids>e36 muffler (soon to be e36 m3).

It will fit, but it's not a "drag and drop" bolt in, IMO. I had to make a few cuts to the OBD2 mids to make them clear the sway bar and the stock suspension lollipop. If you have the Treehouse CABs and shim the engine it may bolt in as-is.

I also had to remove heat shielding to get it to tuck, but now it fits nice and snug. I think even better than stock because I have access to the back of my transmission.

The OBD2 mids have an integrated X-pipe after the cats.

It's slightly heavy, but I think that's beneficial to the sound. There's not a bit of tinniness or rasp to it.

The pictures show how the stock e30 cat with a modified front section looks next to the OBD2 section before I modified it.

hoveringuy, how did your OBD2 midpipes clear your front subframe? Any pictures of that area? I'm using OBD1 exhaust manifolds and midpipe from the s50 and the midpipe hits the front subframe a little bit, even after shimming up the passenger side motor mount about 1/4".

I would think that the obd1 and obd2 manifolds are positioned the same where it connects to the midpipe because e36 guys interchange them all the time. I'm using the treehouse CABs so I shouldn't have an interference issue there, though I'm not quite there yet.

thanks
                  -Brian

Comment

A bit of an answer to my initial question: The e36 midpipe is a foot or so too long to bolt up with an e30 cat-back. Modification is a necessity to make something work.
                    S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                    Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by m_dudey View Post
                      hoveringuy, how did your OBD2 midpipes clear your front subframe? Any pictures of that area? I'm using OBD1 exhaust manifolds and midpipe from the s50 and the midpipe hits the front subframe a little bit, even after shimming up the passenger side motor mount about 1/4".

I would think that the obd1 and obd2 manifolds are positioned the same where it connects to the midpipe because e36 guys interchange them all the time. I'm using the treehouse CABs so I shouldn't have an interference issue there, though I'm not quite there yet.

thanks
                      -Brian
                      What engine mounts are you using? I'm using e28 M5 mounts and don't have any problems. I'm running OBDII exhaust all the way.
                      Count down to 1,000,000 miles: 490,649 to go

Comment

i'm running the green e28 mounts, I forget if they're the M5 ones though. here's a pic of my engine mount, same one as yours?

Comment

hmm, any position differences in the output flanges between obd1 and obd2 exhaust manifolds?

Comment

okay, fitted up the obd1 midpipes into the car today and it clears the subframe! I'd say a little less than 1/4" gap. I guess with the 1/4" shim on the passenger side motor mount makes all the difference. now I have to decide what muffler to use, looking for something that will bolt right up to the obd1 midpipes.

Comment

dont run obd1 manifolds dudey

Comment

Originally posted by lennon View Post
                                dont run obd1 manifolds dudey
                                why not? I know they're heavier than the stainless obd2 manifolds but that's what I have now, so I'll just use them. maybe later on when I have the obd2 manifolds welded and grinded at the air injection ports, I'll switch them over then. but I also have to pass the CA BAR inspection, just don't want to take any chances.

Comment

Working...
                                X