Does anyone's gas gauge actually work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone's gas gauge actually work?

I've been through like 5 gas gauges they all read wrong, I've also re soldered the points as well. I swapped out the sending unit with my friend's one and it still sucks

Specifically:
    I turn my car on and it'll say quarter tank, then I'll drive maybe 3-5 miles and it will dive to the red zone. Drive another 3-5 and it is below the line. The only time it doesn't is when it reads from Half tank to quarter.
    87 ETA | Hibernating

Mine fluctuates. But I've never run out of gas due to it.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Mine just started messing up this week. It jumps to a full tank and back down every once in a while. I am yet to check the fuel sending unit or the fuel gauge on the cluster. I will try to resolve mine soon hopefully and let you know. Have you been replacing yours with used ones?

Comment

Yeah thats pretty common in e30's. Just put gas in at a 1/4 tank??

Comment

Mine was absolutely 100% perfect, dead accurate, and never fluctuated a millimeter....then it completely took a shit on me and waves goodbye around every turn. So yes, it's possible for them to be perfect, but pretty rare. I have a feeling mine is an easy fix though, I've just not gotten around to tightening the nut.
          The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
          Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
          2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
          2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

mine worked fine and then broke and is now broken.

come fix it.

I get the mostly full reading. Once in a while I think I get a correct reading of what it really is.

then I also get 3/4 full and empty.

I have never heard of the guage itself being bad or anyone switching them other than you.

Comment

Originally posted by e30runner View Post
              Mine just started messing up this week. It jumps to a full tank and back down every once in a while. I am yet to check the fuel sending unit or the fuel gauge on the cluster. I will try to resolve mine soon hopefully and let you know. Have you been replacing yours with used ones?

All used. I took my friend's working one though. Same problem just different places where it would dive.

Originally posted by stamar View Post
              mine worked fine and then broke and is now broken.

come fix it.

I get the mostly full reading. Once in a while I think I get a correct reading of what it really is.

then I also get 3/4 full and empty.

I have never heard of the guage itself being bad or anyone switching them other than you.
              Well I've just tried eveything ppl told me to. Any advice?
              87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

no probs here, on either of my e30's
                If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Mine takes a shit on sharp right turns(roundabout entrance on a freeway) since my E30 is a highway DD it takes at least 5 to 6 miles before it gets up to where it was before, sometimes lower, pisses me off
                  1986 325e (EUR)
                  Grey Market
                  Zinno
                  327i Build
                  Zender kit
                  ESM 008TA

Restoration progress TBA

Originally posted by ethrtyiS
                  sweet! day after my first final. really getting waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesed up then!!

Comment

There is no reason not to have a properly working fuel gauge. The most common problems result from; a) cracked solder joints in the cluster, b) bad level sensor(s), and c) the wrong gauge for the tank. Cars that have the 55L tank can have odd behavior of the gauge from a blocked cross-over tube.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Yeah, my gas gauge and temp gauge jump all over the place, and my speedo cuts out intermittently, but who needs 'em?
                      Couldn't your problem have something to do with the SI board? I've always heard that SI issues can mess with the fuel and tach guages.
                      Who put this big Subaru-shaped dent in the back of my car?
                      sigpic

Comment

I've had 5-6 different E30's in my lifetime and never had a problem with the gas gauge. In fact, that's the one gauge that's been pretty solid. Guess I've been lucky.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

My gas gauge fluctuates. It gives a good general idea of where I am at but never really gets below 1/4 tank. The gas light however, seems to working find so I just drive until I see that and then pull over and fill up.
                          sigpic

Comment

My gas gauge is good too. Never had a problem with it.

Comment

Mine started acting up after I swapped the euro cluster in, gauge is for 60l tank and that's what I have. the reserve light comes on at about 36l and I put about 25-30 dollars in and the gauge reads full. Still trying to figure it out.
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                              VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Working...
                              X