No announcement yet.

S54 swap questions and concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List of parts I'm using so far, I'll keep this list updated for anyone who wants info for this swap.

-engine
    02 s54
    E46m3 harness and ecu
    Andrew's harness adapter
    E46 electronic gas pedal
    E46 FPR and fuel filter
    Tyler@Arc Asylum custom subframe and oil pan
    E36 engine arms
    E28 engine(green)mounts
    Ebay headers
    E30 oil cooler

-Trans
    96 ZF320
    S52 duel mass flywheel
    S52 clutch kit
    E36 5spd driveshalf
    E36 clutch slave cylinder
    E30 trans brace
    E30 trans mounts
    3.46 diff or lower *I'm still searching for one

-Brakes
    E32 735i booster
    remote reservoir from a 2002
    *havnt tested for fitment yet

-Cooling
    E46m3 Radiator
    E30m3 coolant tank
    *im not a fan of electric fans so looking for clutch/fan options that will fit*

I've replaced the waterpump/t-stat, oil housing gasket, valve and pan gasket.
    Last edited by jink0619; 12-18-2014, 02:41 PM.
    sigpic
    E30love

Comment

Still need to figure out what I'm going to do with oil cooler lines and oil return line. Motor should be ready to drop in soon as I get the header, then just finish everything up from there.
      sigpic
      E30love

Comment

Originally posted by G FORCE View Post
        Sub'd. If my S14 ever craps out I'm going S54.
        Consider this, your s14 still running will basically pay for an s54 swap.
        sigpic
        E30love

Comment

Originally posted by jink0619 View Post
          Consider this, your s14 still running will basically pay for an s54 swap.
          That's a great list, thanks a bunch for that.

I often contemplate the idea of the swap. It would certainly be better to do it proactively than re-actively in terms of value/cost!

Question: was it not easy to implement the 6speed from the E46 or did you just choose to stick with the 5speed?
          Gabe
          '91 318is

Comment

If you go 6spd, you'll just need to find a auto driveshalf from an e36m3

i decided to go ZF cause it's cheaper and easier to source one if it was to ever break.
            sigpic
            E30love

Comment

Questions for the experienced:

For the e30 temp gauge, where do I put the e30 temp sensor?

Which trans cover plate do I use? The thin metal plate that goes between the trans and engine*

What are my clutch and fan options that would fit?

I have both e30m3 and e46m3 coolant resorvior which is better to use?

I have both e30m3 and e46m3 oil cooler which is better to use?

Thanks in advance
              sigpic
              E30love

Comment

S54 swap questions and concerns

I have the part numbers on those rod bearings
                I have them new sitting in the box waiting install.

Will post up in the morning

Comment

My swap took a step back because I had the flywheel machined and turns out it's not an s52 flywheel, didn't bolt up to the clutch kit.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  E30love

Comment

Got this today, thanks Andrew :)
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    E30love

Comment

Originally posted by jink0619 View Post
                      Questions for the experienced:

For the e30 temp gauge, where do I put the e30 temp sensor?

Which trans cover plate do I use? The thin metal plate that goes between the trans and engine*

What are my clutch and fan options that would fit?

I have both e30m3 and e46m3 coolant resorvior which is better to use?

I have both e30m3 and e46m3 oil cooler which is better to use?

Thanks in advance
                      I used an Ebay radiator hose temperature gauge adapter. I cut my upper radiator hose and slipped one of these in, and drilled and tapped a hole for the stock E30 temperature sender. It's kind of ghetto, but it works.

I used a regular E36 trans cover plate. Works perfectly.

I used an electric fan. I used a E30 coolant reservoir. I used an aftermarket oil cooler with AN fittings. The stock M3 oil cooler has a fairly small capacity. It's certainly better than no cooler, but the E46 piece is not known to have a great thermal capacity either.

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

anyone running vanos delete? Havn't started on my build yet but this is one thing I am contemplating on. From what I heard you lose low end power. Anyone that can help :)
                        sigpic

Comment

Why would you want to? You can't make more power without it.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It would cost more to delete it and run standalone. Preemptively addressing its issues will run around an extra 300.

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                              I used an Ebay radiator hose temperature gauge adapter. I cut my upper radiator hose and slipped one of these in, and drilled and tapped a hole for the stock E30 temperature sender. It's kind of ghetto, but it works.

I used a regular E36 trans cover plate. Works perfectly.

I used an electric fan. I used a E30 coolant reservoir. I used an aftermarket oil cooler with AN fittings. The stock M3 oil cooler has a fairly small capacity. It's certainly better than no cooler, but the E46 piece is not known to have a great thermal capacity either.
                              Thank you for your response, I will go with the adapter for temp sensor like u did cause would hate to drill hole in T-Stat housing. For the oil cooler, I also have one from an Acura TSX, it's flat like the ones that come on the e90/e92 335i, might see if it will work.

Tyler custom subframe coming in tomr so I'll have that installed and hopefully drop motor in if weather permits. Will update with pics
                              sigpic
                              E30love

Comment

ArcAsylum subframe bolted up nicely, excuse the dirty bay, my power washer broke.
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic
                                E30love

Comment

Working...
                                X