Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

check engine light for 84 323i Why is it on????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check engine light for 84 323i Why is it on????

Ok, got this light on, but not sure what to check to see why it is on. The car does not have an o2 sensor, I replaced all the vac lines, what would cause the light to come on for this model?
    I was thinking coolant temp sensor?????
    thanks for any help,
    jm

is it the "check" light or does it actually have a "check engine" light?

Comment

good question:)

It is the cel. The check light that is related to the overhead panel goes off when I press the brake and the black button. I am thankful that all of those lights go off when they should.
      Now, for the cel I am not sure what would make it go on with this particular euro model. Most likely emissions junk, but I don't see anything that would cause it to be on. Wonder if it is just a loose wire somewhere, or the gas cap:)
      thanks again.....need the 323i euro people to jump in here...I know you are out there somewhere.
      jm

Comment

Originally posted by cunninglinguist View Post
        is it the "check" light or does it actually have a "check engine" light?
        This... I don't think an 84 has a legit CEL like the later models. They would have been pre OBD. If it's the light in the center of the cluster, that's for the check panel above your head.
        Estoguy
        1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

not the center light

Thanks for the reply, but the check one in the center goes out when I press the button.
          The light that is on is next the emergency brake light.
          thanks,
          jm

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb as a fellow very early 323i owner and say most likely, you had a federalized, or used USDM cluster installed and it's a later model with a CEL.

Comment

well that is interesting

Well, it does have a usa speedometer, but the cluster looks to be early type....but I think what you are saying is I should not have a cel for my early car.....so maybe it is on because it is getting a signal from the usa computer?
              interesting, did not think of this possibility.
              I assume your early 323i does not have a check engine light?
              thanks,
              jm

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jm View Post
                Well, it does have a usa speedometer, but the cluster looks to be early type....but I think what you are saying is I should not have a cel for my early car.....so maybe it is on because it is getting a signal from the usa computer?
                interesting, did not think of this possibility.
                I assume your early 323i does not have a check engine light?
                thanks,
                jm
                Take a look for your ECU. Does your car have Motronic 1.0 or, Jetronic?

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Motronic

Comment

will check that today

Thanks for the reply, will check today,
                  jm

Comment

Your car is unlikely to have an actual CEL.

I have been hearing stories recently about CEL timers installed on cars with retrofitted O2 sensors, where the CEL automatically flips on every 60K miles to signal a need to change the O2 sensor. Corny but functional, I guess.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                      Your car is unlikely to have an actual CEL.

I have been hearing stories recently about CEL timers installed on cars with retrofitted O2 sensors, where the CEL automatically flips on every 60K miles to signal a need to change the O2 sensor. Corny but functional, I guess.
                      I remember seeing something about that on the e21s. I do not think I have an o2 sensor, but I am going under the car today, so I will try to make sure...
                      thanks for the info.
                      jm

Comment

computer checked

Ok, been tearing the front of the engine down to check/clean everything.:).
                        So I pulled the computer out again and here is the info.
                        Bosch: 0280-001-308.
                        I can not find any o2 sensor, but the car had a cat added back in 1988, most likely required to pass smog tests.
                        I did see some wires coming out of the harness that seem to have been added later, but not sure; will trace those next week.
                        thanks for any input,
                        jm
                        This is the correct computer for the early 323i and it should not have an O2 sensor? Going to be fun when I have to pass smog. So now I am really wondering how the check engine light would be on. What else would cause it to turn on, when there is no O2 sensor? Unless someone put a light in the socket in the cluster to fed. the car back in 88? Of course the light would come on since the bulb is not suppose to be there?
                        ???
                        Last edited by 2002jm; 12-18-2014, 02:02 PM.

Comment

84's don't have check engine lights, like, at all.
                          cars beep boop

Comment

thanks

Yeh, that is what I thought. I am going to go take a picture and maybe someone can tell me what light is really on. I hope its not something stupid like the oil sensor?:).... The light is right beside the emergency brake light...will check it out.
                            thanks,
                            jm
                            ok, here is a picture of the light....I am not talking about the CHECK light which is in the middle of the light.
                            This light is more of an orange tone light.
                            Some of the lights are off, because the wires are not on right now.
                            thanks,
                            jm
                            Last edited by 2002jm; 12-18-2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Isn't that the brake lining light?

Comment

Working...
                              X