speedometer and odometer inoperable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedometer and odometer inoperable

So I am having an issue with the speedometer and odometer not working on my e30.

Where does the odometer get its signal from? Does it use the speed sensor in the diff?

I have already checked the wiring at the diff and it's OK. I'm wondering if the speed sensor may be the culprit here.
    -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Replace fuse 10, 12, and 21 and it will work again. They are all 7.5A fuses. This is assuming you did a good job inspecting the rear diff speed sensor wires.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Greg.

I should have mentioned it in the first post, but I already replaced the fuses which didn't change a thing.

I didn't just inspect the wires, but replaced probably the last 12 inches or so with new wire and spade terminals. Eventually want to find an OE connector, but that's a separate topic.
      -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Comment

The sensor is easy to check. Unplug it, and ohm it out while spinning the driveshaft. it should alternate between open and closed circuit.
        -Dave
        2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

The signal enters the cluster via the brown/red wire in the white plug, it should show a pulsed signal when the wheels are spinning.

If you confirm all your power and signal is there, your speedometer/odometer assembly probably failed which is a very common problem with VDO gauges. We can certainly fix it for you.
          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
            The signal enters the cluster via the brown/red wire in the white plug, it should show a pulsed signal when the wheels are spinning.

If you confirm all your power and signal is there, your speedometer/odometer assembly probably failed which is a very common problem with VDO gauges. We can certainly fix it for you.
            Mine works intermittently after I replace the gears. Can you PM the cost of fixing the speedometer/odometer assembly. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X