Unlocking top cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlocking top cover?

Hey guys...I've had a 1992 vert for 6 months and the electric top has never worked right. It has been up throughout my ownership, when I try to retract it I hear a motor running but the tonneau cover won't lift. I can pull it up an inch or two but it won't open past that.

Is there a manual release for the cover? I seem to recall reading that the emergency releases only allow the top to be raised, not lowered. I really need to open the well, because my upper shock mounts are torn.

Cheers,
    Paul

Yes there is a little release lever to undo the top and cover. Of mine was near, I'd snap a picture of it.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

There are release levers on both motors. They just disengage the motors, and you should be able to manually open and close the top/cover. If the cover is stuck, there is also a wire connecting the cover to the trunk (makes sure both aren't up at same time). That could be stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you verbally describe where this release is located?

Comment

Found this image on Google and circled the release lever for the lid motor.
          Attached Files

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys! Time to tear into it this weekend.

Comment

Unlocking top cover?

Been there done that..
              In my case the hinget bracket (see arrow in pic) was a bit bent. Later it broke completely, so the gears of the motor didn't fit anymore. This thing can't be weldet and is not a piece that can be ordered. Only the complete motor which is $1000.- over here. So I fixed the broken hinget bracket with liquid metal. Looks like sh!t but holds up for the next thousand years hahaaaaa. See second pic.

Hope you get what I tried to explain, English isn't my first language.

Feel free to ask, I'm happy to help.

Last edited by nachbarx; 09-23-2016, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Here a pic I made to remember how the position of the two switches approximately should be.

Comment

Thanks nachbarx! Your English is just fine. We call Liquid Metal JB Weld over here...it works where nothing else will!

Comment

After getting the lid open, here's the carnage I discovered...the push rod is bent into nearly a perfect 90 degree angle, the Heim joint at the end of the rod is snapped in two, and the motor link is worn on the end. I've ordered new parts...

Comment

Working...
                    X