Solved - No CEL light with key on, cranks but no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved - No CEL light with key on, cranks but no start

I had my harness wired for me and I'm 99% everything is hooked up properly but I get no Check Engine Light when I turn the key on. I can't find a ton of info on this but the Cel light should come on when I turn the key right?

Info:
    All other lights on the dash come on
    1990 vert with S52 OBD2
    Working (at least was when engine was pulled) swap tuned silver ECU
    Cranks strong

Questions:
    It was an auto Prior to swap, so I did the under dash wiring changes from auto to manual. Not sure if this may cause an issue.
    There are some left over wires in the glove box from the old ECU. Is there any wiring that needs to be done inside the car?
    Last edited by Mwishlist; 11-24-2015, 08:52 AM.
    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Yes the check engine light is on when you first turn the key on. The DME grounds the light to turn it on.

Comment

The ECU either isn't getting power or its bad.

Comment

If you have a silver ECU that worked in the donor car, it could be EWS, even if it's tuned. My S50 came with a silver tuned ECU that still had EWS and will not start the car. Grad a 413 red label and she if she will start.

Comment

Sublimation is correct. Looks like the harness was missing one critical wire, the ECU turn on signal. Fingers crossed I will be firing this up tonight.
          Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Yep, ECU turn on wire was missing, got everything started!

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
              I had my harness wired for me and I'm 99% everything is hooked up properly but I get no Check Engine Light when I turn the key on. I can't find a ton of info on this but the Cel light should come on when I turn the key right?

Info:
              All other lights on the dash come on
              1990 vert with S52 OBD2
              Working (at least was when engine was pulled) swap tuned silver ECU
              Cranks strong

Questions:
              It was an auto Prior to swap, so I did the under dash wiring changes from auto to manual. Not sure if this may cause an issue.
              There are some left over wires in the glove box from the old ECU. Is there any wiring that needs to be done inside the car?
              I'm planning on doing the swap in the future a lot of e36's are auto so I was wondering what wiring was needed. From what I read I thought you just have to take anything related to the auto trans and ground it?? Or do you have to work on the actual ECU

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Originally posted by gespinal0301 View Post
                I'm planning on doing the swap in the future a lot of e36's are auto so I was wondering what wiring was needed. From what I read I thought you just have to take anything related to the auto trans and ground it?? Or do you have to work on the actual ECU
                All I did was cut out all of the auto wiring. There were two or three wires that went to the DME connector that I just capped off. My engine/harness is OBD1 (dunno if it matters or not).

Comment

Originally posted by M3PO View Post
                  All I did was cut out all of the auto wiring. There were two or three wires that went to the DME connector that I just capped off. My engine/harness is OBD1 (dunno if it matters or not).
                  Just making sure I didn't have to do some weird voodoo to the ecu lol thank you!

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Working...
                  X