S50 Swap into e34?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 Swap into e34?

Not sure if I should have put this in the off topic thread since it doesn't involve e30s, so mods please feel to move if necessary.

I have an s50 motor sitting in the garage that I had originally planned on throwing into my e30. However due to financial constraints I decided to sell it, and I am wondering if it is common or even possible to do an s50 motor swap into an e34? A coworker of mine has an e34 (non v8) and was curious. Any info would be great. Thanks

very easy swap as E34 525 was an M50
    Brian Jacobs

Comment

Been done numerous times and is far cheaper than an S38 swap.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Yep, a friend of mine did an OBD-I s52 into his m50 e34. It was easy as hell, there is no wiring to be changed or anything. Bolt-in & plug-in.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Very easy. I did the swap into my dad's '95 525iT.

All you need to swap over is the 525i Oil Pan, Oil Pickup & Dipstick, Motor Mount Arms and Exhaust Manifolds. IIRC everything else is plug and play.
          Originally posted by BillBrasky
          E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
          1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
          1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
          1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
          2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

Originally posted by BenM View Post
            Very easy. I did the swap into my dad's '95 525iT.

All you need to swap over is the 525i Oil Pan, Oil Pickup & Dipstick, Motor Mount Arms and Exhaust Manifolds. IIRC everything else is plug and play.

what's the S50 like in an e34? Is it too much weight?

Powered By Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Mde36 View Post
              what's the S50 like in an e34? Is it too much weight?
              It's about the same weight as an e36, so it should feel just like an e36 M3. My friends s52 e34 ran a 13.9 @ 100mph. That's better then some s52 e30's on this board, and better then another one of my friends e36 M3.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

its been one of my little fantasies to swap an s motor into my e34 too, when that m50 finally dies in it, i'll swap something else in. you guys have any links you wanna share with that?
                1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

There is a great build thread on BFc that some guy did. Very detailed and nice pictures as well.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

mmmm visualizing a 525 5 speed touring euro s50b32 swapped...
                    sigpic

Comment

Jon at Treehouse

Many years ago, Jon got an S50B32 from me, and swapped it into a very clean and rust free white E34. I believe that he also put in an E34 M5 cluster to make it seem right.

This combination was wicked, and given the lightness of the engine compared to a senior six derivative, and the significantly lighter interior on a non-M5, this car whipped standard E34 M5 cars.

I've been eyeing rust free E34 Tourings lately, and thinking S54 transplant, that would probably rival the 3.8 cars that terrorized europe as the ultimate in Q-cars.

YES, the baby six in S-mode is a great option for that chassis.

The joke is, putting in a six speed with S50B32 or S54B32 could still be done with all stock BMW parts as the 3.8's came with virtually identical six speeds, bell housing being the only difference, so, crossmembers, driveshafts theoretically could all be bought from the BMW parts bin.

You'd need to do a little conversion to the midpipes to join them to the headers, but other than that, could be drop-in
                      sigpic
                      Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
                      http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. My coworker is currently looking for an e34 with a dead m50 motor so I can possibly dump my s50 that's been sitting in the garage for the past 6 months

Comment

Just to be clear, you do have to hangs the harness in a non vanos car.
                          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Well,

I guess the question is how does the S50 swapped E34 compare to the stock E34 540i with an M60 V8?
                            Recent Rebranding!!
                            Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                            E30 SM62/S62
                            E30 M60 V8
                            E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                            Instagram.com/garageaholic
                            Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
                              Well,

I guess the question is how does the S50 swapped E34 compare to the stock E34 540i with an M60 V8?
                              NO FRANK! Put the M60 into your e30 shell you are planning.
                              ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                              ~ '87 535
                              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Working...
                              X