Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M3 sway bar links on non-m3 struts - who's done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 sway bar links on non-m3 struts - who's done it?

The only thread I can find is this one by peerless showing some less than ideal measurements of stock e30m3 struts.

Is there a more detailed guide/template?

(I've already have the links, and tabs from AKG - putting in a vert 19mm(?) bar)

Originally posted by peerless View Post

Viola! (your welcome ) (Sticky consideration?)

Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

also interested in this info. and how does cutting and welding a sleeve to the strut affect the location of this tab?

Comment

I'm working on this today. It looks like if you want to use the OEM e30m3 sway bar links, that you have to use a very high mounting point, or other wise at full droop, the sway bar will hit the control arm at full droop.

In order to get the sway bar level(most effective when it's horzontal) - your only choice to use custom links - not the factory. So, if you want to use the factory links, you have to mount up high.

Comment

I had this done to mine George. You can use e36 m3 links also(which is what I'm using).
        I wouldn't be worried about hitting the control arm. Problem usually is your sway bar hitting your subframe if you're too low which was my case.

Here's mine:

Ignore my control arm.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I'm about to do this in a few days as well. In for more info.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Ugh. I've got M3 tabs and regular adjustable endlinks, but no way of extending them for M3 tab use.

I'll probably wind up getting the M3 adjustable endlinks to the tune of $90 or so from IE. Just wish I could adapt the endlinks I already have.

Comment

Does this help? It looks to be 10 5/16" to me. I can get some better measurements this weekend, if you need it.

sigpic

Comment

George, I just checked on those endlinks and they're adjustable. I'm not sure why you're fretting about exact measurements; as long as you are reasonably close to the original placement they should work fine.

Also the vert front sway is 21mm. ;) The M3 sway is 19.

Comment

I know. I've got a vert bar I'm putting in. That with m3 links should be as stiff or stiffer then a 25mm bar(?) - I think.

Anyways. It looks like the e36 is the same deal as well for people with 5-lug.

This is the e3 set up. non-m's the bar goes to the control arm, and M's get it attached up high on the strut. Just like e30's. The m3 sway barr link is a different part number thought.

Comment

So here. I think this will explain it better. This is an animated Gif (may take a second to load) - One picture is at a height of tucking tire. The second is full drop. The issue I'm seeing is the clearance below the link. It's the control arm to link clearance. If you weld the mount too low, any lower then the stock m3 link, as the suspension drops, it will bind up - or am I not seeing things right?

Of course the reason I wanted to weld it lower is to get the sway bar horizontal, so that it's most effective. I got that idea from Luke. I really need to stop listening to that guy. ;)

Comment

My AKG tabs were welded with the strut side by side with an e36m3 Bilstein monotube. We ended up putting the tab at the base of the perch. Almost an inch higher than I have seen several here. That should compensate for the drop and still keep optimal sway bar geometry without needing the adjustables from china express.
                      sigpic
                      Gun control means using both hands
                      Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

When I had my strut housings cut/welded by GC they have also added the m3 sway bar link option. May want to ask Jay on what he has to say on the location ?
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                          George, I just checked on those endlinks and they're adjustable. I'm not sure why you're fretting about exact measurements; as long as you are reasonably close to the original placement they should work fine.

Also the vert front sway is 21mm. ;) The M3 sway is 19.

x2. If you have adjustable links don't worry about the EXACT location.

G.Verelli

Comment

I have them on mine. What measurement do you need? I welded on perches from Ground control.

edit: The adjustable links were from rs4pro3 and were too long as seen in the picture, I had to cut the rod down to make the cabby sway bar parallel to the ground. I'd be willing to jack up the car and take pics and measurements if you cut me a deal on a voltmeter :-)

Comment

Not a chance. ;)

I got it done. I welded them(had the welded) about 1.25 inches from the weld bead. As far was where to have them located *around* the strut tube, it doesn't seem to matter much, they joints of the stock e30 m3 links have a ton of articulation in them.

You do want the location of the bracket to be the same heights on the strut - especially if you are going to be using the stock e30m3 links, other wise you'll preload the sway bar - that wouldn't be too good.

Comment

Working...
                              X