Pic Request: E30/M60 (or M/S62) with with E30 heater connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pic Request: E30/M60 (or M/S62) with with E30 heater connections

Does anyone have or can anyone take a pic of the M60/E30 engine bay with the intake manifold removed? I'm looking for info on where the heater connections are on the firewall relative to the left cylinder head.

My swap is using an S62, so any fitment problems related to the M60/M62rear coolant crossover manifold are not applicable.

I found this post:

I also have these two pics I took of Garey's car, in which the patch he made to close the hole in the firewall where the heater hoses come through is visible:

It's still hard to tell from these exactly where that is relative to the inner edge of the head and the space in the V of the engine.

If the heater connections are inboard of the left head, then it should be pretty easy to match those up with the S62 heater connections, which are steel pipes coming from the coolant metering manifolds in the valley. I can either bend up new pipes or replace the pipes with hoses... as long as the E30 heater connections clear the left cylinder head.

Thanks!

Does this help? If you want other angles I can try, but it's a bit crowded in that area.

Looks to me like the one hose on your s62 engine would line up nearly prefect, which means the other one should too, if they are stacked on top of each other like e30 hoses.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Yeah, that does help. Thanks!

Is that the throttle cable?
      What's the "FUEL 08x13" hose passing through? Fuel line?

It looks like your heater hoses are just a tiny bit kinked, but wouldn't be kinked at all without those two components in the way. Is that a good assessment?

Yeah, the pipe ends are in approximately the right locations... I'll have to get the engine installed to see exactly what needs to be done. I wouldn't have any problems with trimming them to keep that area clean and uncluttered.

My swap is going into a 325iX. Because the E53 pan has a slightly longer sump than the E30 pan, and said sump has to go behind the suspension crossmember, the engine's likely to be slightly further back than it is in a RWD install, and therefore tighter to the firewall.

Since the S62 uses TBW, I won't have a throttle cable, and may be able to route the fuel connections differently.

Comment

It looks a lot more jammed up in that area then it is.

The throttle cable pivots at the firewall, it's not in the way of anything, it's just laying there on top of the fuel hose.

The fuel hose is the same way, it's just laying above the heater hose, it's not pushing the heater hose away from the head, like it looks in that pic.

You are correct, the heater hose is ever so slightly kinked, but it's by it's own design. It just doesn't have the necessary angles to go from the engine coolant pipe to the firewall pipe. That's a random hose from a parts store, it was the best fitting one I could find. The other heater core hose is more of a disaster, it's actually tow hoses connected by a barb.

To be honest, it works. It's not pretty, but it works fine. Here's two pics from my build thread when I was trying to sort it all out:

Actually, I'm glad you made this thread. I'm in the middle of putting my car back together currently, and I just took those other pics for you today while I was working on it. Looking at these old build thread pics, it looks like I had those hoses routed differently, and in a way that won't cause that kinking. I may try to put them back that way.

Comment

Cool. Glad it could help both of us. Thank you!

Comment

So, on your setup Justin, you've got:

64 21 1 374 911 - BMW Heater hose.

71692 - crosses to a couple of #s, but it's bypass hose from a GM/Isuzu. ***(Goodyear # is trim to fit 4101) DO NOT GET. IT DOES NOT HAVE THE CORRECT BENDS TO FIT PROPERLY***
            Above # also crosses to:
            8-97088-139-0
            101 82 356

Then the last one I can't read.
            Last edited by slammin.e28; 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Sic' I was wondering about this but not quite there yet with my build.
              https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                So, on your setup Justin, you've got:

64 21 1 374 911 - BMW Heater hose.

71692 - crosses to a couple of #s, but it's bypass hose from a GM/Isuzu. (Goodyear # is trim to fit 4101)

Then the last one I can't read.

The last one is a Drive-Rite 300067.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                  The last one is a Drive-Rite 300067.
                  Bypass hose for Acura Integra/Honda Civic, CRX, etc....

OE #19508-PM6-000
                  Gates #18701 (trim to fit)

Comment

What did you use to look that up? I wonder if the OE hoses would be better then the aftermarket hoses as far as durability (I'm guessing so).

That hose is $5 from Honda, where as the Drive-Rite was $17 from Advance Auto.

That's not a hose you want to mess with when the engine is installed, I know that much.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                      What did you use to look that up? I wonder if the OE hoses would be better then the aftermarket hoses as far as durability (I'm guessing so).

That hose is $5 from Honda, where as the Drive-Rite was $17 from Advance Auto.

That's not a hose you want to mess with when the engine is installed, I know that much.
                      The first two I did on Worldpac. The last one I had to Google. Put me to Advance where I got an application, which I looked up on Worldpac. :D

Prices are not bad.

64 21 1 374 911 superseded to 64 21 1 380 527 - $25 retail. I can get it through the shop for $6.
                      71692 I can get for $11.
                      19508-PM6-000 I can get for $7.

Then what, like $2 for the barbed connector?

Not bad for your setup. I like it. Looks pretty damn professional.
                      Last edited by slammin.e28; 04-02-2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Good deal, thanks for the part numbers. This thread has become rather valuable to all of us!

Comment

Can you link us a site to order them from. I'll go on tonight and get them now!
                          https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Honestly I'd get them from worldpac through work. Napa, advance, or any of those should be able to get them, but prices would vary. The BMW hose I couldn't get an application for. Checked on realoem too.

I really don't see why blunt couldn't get them. Again, prices I posted are what I can get them for just for reference.

I'd check amazon too. I get a lot of stuff from there.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                              The BMW hose I couldn't get an application for. Checked on realoem too.
                              Ahh, forgot all about that. The BMW hose was superseded by 64 21 1 380 527. It's an e30 m20 heater hose of some sort.

When I took the pic showing the ***911 hose, that's when I was still building and test fitting the car. That was an old junk hose I had laying around, which I wanted to replace when I put the car together for good. I went through this same thing trying to find the new part number. I do currently have the ***527 hose installed in my car, that's the one in my first pics in this thread, where the car is painted, you just can't see the number. I'm pretty sure it's identical though.

Comment

Working...
                              X