X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drive shaft problems!

Hello all,

just recently purchased my 1987 325e.

car is in fairly good condition but one slight problem!

i think there is an issue with the drive shaft. It vibrates a little and clunks a little in first gear, and somewhat 2nd. I have heard this might be either due to the guibo, center support bearing, or the u joints (?).

I have taken off the exhaust off the car and the first heat shield. but i am wondering how to continue to further examine my drive shaft.

i have seen diys.. but to really check whats wrong i'm wondering what i need to do. soemone mentioned buying a whole new driveshaft that has been already balance and etc etc...
    wondering if thats the best (or better yet the easiest) solution for me. i checked the guibo and it seems the front (towards the transmission) seems to be wearing out a bit, but doesn't seem to be torn or such (just rubber being old). have yet to remove the cat/header (if anyone can explain if i need to disassemble the whole header/cat system is necessary that'd be awesome :D).

lmk what I should do and what would be my best bet!
    thanks all!

Yeah u joints cause clunking which will mess up the bearing when the bearings going bad (vibration) you should replace it with a bad guibo your driveshaft could come up through the floorboars
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e34_spangler View Post
      Yeah u joints cause clunking which will mess up the bearing when the bearings going bad (vibration) you should replace it with a bad guibo your driveshaft could come up through the floorboars
      so replace the whole driveshaft??

what do you mean by "with a bad guibo?"

so i should just swap out the csb/guibo/ujoints while i'm at it?? what is the exact location of the u joints on the car? any links to good diys... thanks!

Comment

Well I had my guibo done cause yah your driveshaft will come through the floor board it holds the shaft and yeah I was told by a. Uddy when its vibrsting time for replacement mine just clunks so I'm waiting for the vibrating:p
        sigpic

Comment

A vibration the seems the come from under the car that is worse in lowest gears when accelerating briskly is usually binding u-joints in the drive shaft and a failing CSB. Replacing the CSB may provide temporary relief but long term fix is a new or rebuilt drive shaft. Clunks when changing gears could be from worn u-joints in the drive shaft, but more commonly they will be from wear in the differential or something loose in the rear suspension.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            A vibration the seems the come from under the car that is worse in lowest gears when accelerating briskly is usually binding u-joints in the drive shaft and a failing CSB. Replacing the CSB may provide temporary relief but long term fix is a new or rebuilt drive shaft. Clunks when changing gears could be from worn u-joints in the drive shaft, but more commonly they will be from wear in the differential or something loose in the rear suspension.
            awesome.

i will look into replacing the csb... possibly not. I might just wait til it dies. prob can give out another 20~30k miles hopefully :D :D :D :D :hitler:

then do a full swap... might be worth it more in the end maybe. :) thanks for the insight all

Comment

I had some wicked vibration in 1st and 2nd gear under full throttle from the center of the car. U joints were binding so I replaced the drive shaft. Not cheap, but it should be 24 years till I need another.

Comment

I had same problem and my CSB was completely gone. I replaced it right away and all vibration went away...now I think my rear wheel bearings are humming...lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
                sigpic
                Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                X