Whine whine whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whine whine whine

So When I bought my car it was at 142xxx miles and the transmission whined REALLY loud. One night I was driving down my street and it sounded like the damn thing was growling at me. I filled it up with transmission fluid, Don't know what kind at the moment. That definitely quit it down significantly but now at 149xxx miles it is whining pretty loud and I have found no leaks! Is this how all E30 transmissions are? My dads IX is nowhere near the same.
    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
    BMW

That is not normal and indicates wear in the transmission. The only fix will be a rebuild or replacement.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      That is not normal and indicates wear in the transmission. The only fix will be a rebuild or replacement.
      I may have seemed to over exaggerated a tiny bit, but it's a noticeable whine. The gears are still smooth and no syncros seem to be worn?
      1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
      BMW

Comment

I had the same problem. Bought the car with a trans whine, turns out the trans was dry. Refilled and it went away but slowly came back. Discovered my output shaft seal was leaking but only when the car was moving.

Check your fluid levels again. If it's low again the fluid is going SOMEWHERE.

Comment

Does it whine in every gear but 4th?
          Originally posted by Andy.B
          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
          1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X