My 88 325ix Got Hit Tonight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 88 325ix Got Hit Tonight...

Well, I was woken up tonight by security forces here on base... to be known that my 325ix was hit out in the parking lot. I even went through the thinking of parking it under the most lit up part of the lot, but I guess that isnt even enough for people to pay attention. The abuser was a dodge ram pulling out, and the guy must have turned to quickly... scraped the shit out of my back fender, side skirt, panel, and even part of the driver door.

USAF security forces asked me how much I estimated the damage to be at, and told them atleast + $5,000. This car has never been in a accident, and still has perfect OEM paint. For a shop to put all OEM parts, and paint back on... I know it wont be easy.

What are things I should look out for, when taking the e30 in for body repair? Is it even possible to properly fix the back fender/body? Sure hope they can paint match the original paint as well. Never been in a accident, so this is a first. And I know its becoming harder to find iX parts.

Any tips, and suggestions are appreciated. Attached below are some pictures.

Thanks,

Attached Files

Drivers door is an easy fix for a good body shop.

that rear quarter needs to be cut out and a new one welded in. I need one for my ix as well. My car is a sedan and a new rear quarter is a little over 300. Did the dodge guy stay or did he leave? I dont think it will cost 5k to fix that btw. My car has a lot more damage and needs the whole car painted. and they want 7k and thats with cutting the front off and a new front end welded in.

Your paint will be easy to match for a good body shop. so you should be okay man.

Sorry to hear about what happened man. If you need any parts i have a lot of spare ix parts man.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

$5K? Are you seriously smoking crack???

I just had same panel repaired with similar damage. Paid $500.

Even if you go to most expensive body shop you can find, I cannot see this costing more than $1000.

Also, there is no such thing as OEM paint. All body shops mix paint using paint codes and computer data.
      My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

Also, 80% of that can be repaired with good PDR
        My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Comment

I had a similar hit above the rear wheel on my ix. They pulled it perfectly....initially thinking I had to cut and weld a new panel (which they didn't have to do). I had the car fully resprayed at the same time and everything all inclusive came around $3500, w/ all the doors, new front fenders, hood, trunk and glass removed.
          www.instagram.com/snwmble
          #snwmble

Current:
          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I would think that damage could be pulled out. If there's no rust or other reasons to cut the panel out I wouldn't disturb the factory welds.

Unless that wheel arch trim is cracked, I don't see any other parts required other than a few clips, screws and rivets to remove and replace the trim pieces ... and all are readily available new from BMW. The cost will be in the labor to straighten the panels.

Semi-educated repair guess ... $2500 all-in.

White is a very easy color to match for an experienced body shop.

The E30 collection:
            1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
            1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
            1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
            1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
            1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
            1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
            1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
            2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
            2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Aww man... that sucks. I feel your pain. My 325 got hit my a guy backing out of a driveway last week in Toronto. Fortunately it was just the front fender, no other damage.

Hope you can get it fixed.
              Estoguy
              1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post

Even if you go to most expensive body shop you can find, I cannot see this costing more than $1000.

Also, there is no such thing as OEM paint. All body shops mix paint using paint codes and computer data.
                better to shoot high than lowball yourself
                1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
                  better to shoot high than lowball yourself
                  Exactly, which is why I told the security forces (police) on base, that figure. I am not going to screw myself, so I figured that estimate would be best to claim. Also, after working at the BMW dealer in Denver for quite sometime, that estimate seemed around the total cost for OEM parts and quality work.

Another area I found cracking in, after getting off work today is the roof... A frame, and door frame are all cracked.

I dont believe I am "smoking crack" at all, apologies that I want the best work done for a car that deserves it...

The sad thing as well, is it will have to be towed out of state as there are no BMW certified shops in North Dakota. Damn, I cannot stand being based out here...

Thanks everyone for the re-assuring replies. Helps keep my mind at ease about this idiotic event.

Comment

Also, 80% of that can be repaired with good PDR

Appears that you are the one tweaking the crack pipe, buddy. PDR my ass.

Also, that quarter absolutely does not need to be replaced.

I do this for a living. Every day. It's an easy fix to do properly if you choose a quality shop. Quarter panels are unibody structure and if they do, which they will, any pulls, then you need a 4 wheel alignment.

You're looking at around 2k, depending on the prevailing labor rate in your area. They have NO need to be BMW savvy, just to produce proper paint and body, this has nothing to do with branding, back in the steel age.

Aluminum is a different story.
                    Derek-

Comment

You're smoking crack if you think you can do a 4 wheel alignment on an e30...
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

I was thinking the same thing until I saw the actual fender flare under his iX flares. It looks all crumpled.
                        That can't possibly be massaged to like like new, can it?

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
                        Appears that you are the one tweaking the crack pipe, buddy. PDR my ass.

Also, that quarter absolutely does not need to be replaced.

I do this for a living. Every day. It's an easy fix to do properly if you choose a quality shop. Quarter panels are unibody structure and if they do, which they will, any pulls, then you need a 4 wheel alignment.

You're looking at around 2k, depending on the prevailing labor rate in your area. They have NO need to be BMW savvy, just to produce proper paint and body, this has nothing to do with branding, back in the steel age.

Aluminum is a different story.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                          You're smoking crack if you think you can do a 4 wheel alignment on an e30...
                          Lol
                          My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                            I was thinking the same thing until I saw the actual fender flare under his iX flares. It looks all crumpled.

That can't possibly be massaged to like like new, can it?

Yeah, usually as long as it isn't torn more than a couple of inches. They will put it on the frame rack and weld multiple tabs to the quarter, then the hydraulic arms will ever so slowly inch the thing out, while the tech massages the metal into place.

If the guys are worth their salt, then it shouldn't take more than a light skin coat of glaze to hide the tooling marks.

I would go to a good indie shop and not one of these big corporate insurance production shops.
                            Derek-

Comment

Any update on this?
                              1991 318is, AWII, Eibach/GC, Koni
                              Riverside CA

Comment

Working...
                              X