Is this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this right?

Got my pistons back from the machine shop and I noticed that the wrist pins are about 0.125" shorter than the snap ring grooves. I know the machine shop didn't mix the wrist pins up, and I doubt the person I bought them from mixed them up. But is this really normal? I know the wrist pin doesn't move side to side... just seems like a lot of play.

-Alex

they should be able to float but not that much ,it also means the pin is not fully supported by the bore and may wear a grove and then not float properly/bind
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

Somethings going on...

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Dave do you have any S52 pistons lying around? tried to order a new wrist pin to measure. Apparently you can't order them and the dealership couldn't even give me the part number.

I'm starting to realize that a stock rebuild on these motors is really uncommon. Or just undocumented.
        -Alex

Comment

Yes i do. Wrist pins are sold with pistons from B<W

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

The only time i have seen a piston with circlips and that much end float resulted in a destroyed piston from the pin hammering the circlips.

I'm used to seeing several thousandths of an inch end float on a pin like that.
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
              Yes i do. Wrist pins are sold with pistons from B<W
              Do they have wrist pins and do you want to sell them to me for cheap? :D:D I'd rather not spend money on new pistons considering I just had the valve pockets cut on these.

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
              The only time i have seen a piston with circlips and that much end float resulted in a destroyed piston from the pin hammering the circlips.

I'm used to seeing several thousandths of an inch end float on a pin like that.
              Yeah that is what I figured. Dang.

I wonder if these pins are from an M50 and maybe the PO got them mixed up
              -Alex

Comment

Txt/call us

Check Us out on Facebook
                Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                  Do they have wrist pins and do you want to sell them to me for cheap? :D:D I'd rather not spend money on new pistons considering I just had the valve pockets cut on these.
                  Sorry for an unrelated question, but:

I'm guessing you cut the valve pockets to retain full function of vanos with those cams? (rather than shimming the vanos)
                  '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Yeah, the cams aren't crazy (just regrinds) but the head was skimmed past BMW's spec so it was a little close on both sides. So since I couldn't find any thicker OEM gaskets for the S52 I figured cutting the pockets was the best option.
                    -Alex

Comment

Working...
                    X