Check panel problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check panel problem

So I've already done my searching and can't find anything similar to my issue. Went to my car this morning to go look for a new job, and my check light in the cluster was solid, and when u push the button on the overhead panel absolutely nothing happens.
    Brake light indicator (mine is normally on with startup and goes away on pressing the brake. Now pressing the brake turns the brake indicator off and switches the oil light on)
    Low beam (never been on in the past even with the hids that haven't been touched, however now this indicator is stuck on)
    License plate (normal for mine. I have a full led upgrade)
    Coolant (always been touchy)

I also noticed carpet on the front drivers side floor was a little damp (it rained here all day yesterday) and based on the amount of rust this car has I'm pretty sure something leaked. Thoughts on what to start with? Car had no issues while driving around through the rain yesterday but all of a sudden....

I have a video but my phone won't let me upload it. I'll do it from computer later
    #projectfrranken30

You have more than a check panel problem. The check should blink until the check panel is pressed...not stay solid.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Yes I know I have more than a check panel problem. And I know how it is supposed to be functioning. Any advice or you just gonna assume I'm stupid?

The check light is tied to the check panel somehow obviously if it goes off when u push the button. I'm trying to figure out what's causing the problem. Any smart people have ideas?
      #projectfrranken30

Comment

Maybe the panel got wet and shorted out. Try unplugging the panel and see if the solid check light goes away, or even better if you have an extra, swap it out. It seems that that things is all out of whack

Since the check panel is the most likely thing to get wet, and it's what sends the signal to the cluster, I'd start there.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by Durtee30 View Post
          Yes I know I have more than a check panel problem. And I know how it is supposed to be functioning. Any advice or you just gonna assume I'm stupid?

The check light is tied to the check panel somehow obviously if it goes off when u push the button. I'm trying to figure out what's causing the problem. Any smart people have ideas?
          Well given that you're a noobie with a few posts making a thread called "check panel problem" I have to assume you know nothing otherwise you wouldn't be asking. It's easier that way when trying to troubleshoot electrical problems online since there are many variables. I'm surprised you didn't find anything about the check panel relay in the trunk given that you searched. Download the ETM for your car and read the schematics to see the relationship between the check panel, check relay and the cluster.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

if you noticed water on the floor of the car

and now your check panel isn't working

it sounds like there was a leak that got into your check panel

try replacing the check panel

and fix the leak.

there's really not much more to it.

Look around the sunroof and behind the check panel. You will see signs of water intrusion if it leaked.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

i appreciate the helpful advice. i will try checking those things today. the check panel relay in the trunk has no indications of water damage. when i unplug the relay the lights go out completely, so im assuming thats functioning.

just because i have a noob amount of posts, does not mean im a noob......
              #projectfrranken30

Comment

Check behind the diver side speaker panel for water. Water can collect there, then pool on the floor. There is an area below the windshield wipers that can get clogged with leaves and dirt. When this happens water will not flow through the drain on the firewall near the battery tray and instead it will drain into the speaker panel. The drain near the firewall is called an elephant trunk because that's what it looks like. Take off the vents on the cowl, clean it out and clear the elephant trunk with a clothes hanger.

This happened to my sister once and her car was electronically possessed for a few days until it dried out. The locks would lock and unlock randomly, several times a minute and her check panel was wacked. The central locking module and most of the cars wires run behind the drivers side speaker panel.

Comment

solved. check panel was just....dead haha
                  #projectfrranken30

Comment

Was there water in it? Was there a burned up board? Any idea why water was in the car?

Comment

Working...
                    X