What is essentail for the m50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is essentail for the m50?

Hey guys i have recently bought myself a 132,000km m50b25 vanos engine for my e30.

My question is what should i think of doing while its out on a pallet? like what parts of the engine should i work on/ replace.

New to this engine swap thing :)

Cheers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	15947007538_fdef701b8e_z.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	7242241

Thing one i most regret not replacing is the rear crankshaft oil seal, rear main seal. It will save you a day of your back on the concrete in the future.
    Intake manifold gaskets and o rings.
    Oil filter housing seal.
    The e30 coolant temp sensor.

Obviously anything that would appear to be leaking.
    Any deteriorating hoses under the intake.

The nut that fastens the oil pump gear on m5x/s5x engines is known to thread off resulting in internal engine damage. search "m50 oil pump nut"

Much more you could do but this is stuff that is considerably more diffucult or complicated once you have the car together. And If you have the funds, replace just about everything while you have easy access

Foresight: Steering rack swap will be easier if the engine is out so if that's in your project plans you may want to put it on hold until you aquire one.

Only as a recommendation if you dont know the previous owner of the motor. I suggest testing for leak down if you have the resources.
    sigpic
    what will this get me?
    '89 325i Vert Schwarz sold/wrecked/gutted/re-aquired/totaled
    '90 300kClub 325is Brilliantrotten M50NV Daily
    '92 325i AT Vert Brilliantrot (soon to be daily)

Comment

hey mate, nice to see another kiwi!

^very true. I would replace the vacuum lines and the rubber elbow coming off the throttle body. Also get all brand new coolant and heater hoses. The hoses under the intake manifold going into the fire wall are a pain to replace. water pump and thermostat as well.

Good luck!!
      .................................................. ...................sigpic
      .................................................. ............................. ......M50B25 3.1L stroker

Comment

Belts, tensioners, gaskets, hoses, rubber lines, seals. Anything that can wear out. Like mentioned.....much easier to do it out of the car.

Comment

Water pump, oil stand seal....just remembering all stuff i did haha

Comment

Definitely do the e36 rack swap while it is out. Pretty easy with the motor out of the car and a pain when it's in. Also do the rear main seal while it's out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely do the rear main/crank shaft seal. I neglected mine and found it actually has a pretty hefty leak there.

Aside from that I did just about every gasket except the head.

-intake manifold gaskets
              -TB gasket
              -valvecover
              -oil pan
              -injector o-rings
              -trans input and output seals
              -pilot bearing
              -shift bushings
              -alternator
              -water pump
              -belts/tensioners and pulleys
              -vac hoses under manifold
              -fuel lines
              -thermostat, housing and gasket
              -new radiator hoses

..basically anything that can come off the engine and can wear out. It's easier to do it all now than have to pull it out later. I've put around 15K miles on my swap with basically practically nothing but a few oil changes.
              91 318is M50 swapped
              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Working...
              X