R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Transmission & Driveline

Old 12-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
HerbE30
Wrencher

Getrag 260 = Marbles in a glass jar with clutch off?

I know that 'Getrag Rattle' is a common term. I am somewhat worried that there is an issue with the output shaft. I am going to have the driveshaft machined to accept 1310 joints in the rear and since I would have it out, anyway to check the tranny for damages, aside from separating the bellhousing?

It only makes noise when the clutch is out (ie not pressed).

Hopeful to be flammed for being stupid. But just worried as I plan a 24v+turbo swap over this winter or summer.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
HerbE30
Wrencher

Also, when I bought the car, it was marked with a Sachs Stage 2 clutch. All other included items were found to be actually on the car. Not sure this can create an issue.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
noid
E30 Fanatic

Does it only make the sound when the clutch pedal is off and the car is in neutral?

If so, then its classic getrag rattle. The sound is normal, and there is nothing you can check with the driveshaft out.

I wrote about what you can do to reduce the sound here:

http://www.rtsauto.com/getrag-rattle...-alleviate-it/
Old 12-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
ForcedFirebird
R3V Elite

Yup. Getrag rattle, and it's amplified in relation to how light the flywheel is.
Instagram
YouTube
ForcedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
HerbE30
Wrencher

@noid - Yeah, at any point my foot is not engaged there is noise (ie. neutral). I read the article man, nice work. I will probably try the fluid mix trick soon!

@ForcedFirebird - The add says swapped and lighter, I never trust any of that and assume stock. lol. What ever the setp-up truly is, it holds well!
Old 12-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
HerbE30
Wrencher

Also THANKS! Now when I buy I parts car, I'll set whatever tranny aside for a rebuild.