Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster Issues

'84 eta

Picked up a replacement cluster out of an '87 eta. Put it in my car and only the fuel gauge works. The cluster came from a parts car, do not know if it worked previously.

Here is a link to a pic of what it looks like when I'm driving down the road.

The temp gauge stays at the bottom(cold), after a few minutes it goes all the way hot. Every now and then it bounces around. I'm thinking it might be a ground issue for the temp gauge. Temp gauge worked in previous cluster.

As for tach, speedo, econometer, I don't know. Tach worked in my previous cluster. Speedo was bad in my previous cluster, I know it was the speedo and not a wiring problem. Brake lining light stays on in new cluster as well.

Is this possibly an SI battery issue? I did some searching and didn't find an exact match for my issue. Some similar stuff.
    90 325i DD/Track
    03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
    It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Fuel and temp gauge problem are usually missing hardware and/or loose 7mm nut behind gauge.

The speedo is usually dead or blown fuses. Replace fuses 10, 12, and 21. It can also be the connector at the rear differential. Check its condition and that there are no wire breaks.

The tach, temp, and MPG gauge are all controlled by the SI board. If the SI board has never been rebuilt, assume it is dead.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

BTW these are just a few of the problems that can cause your issues. There are many cluster related damages that can cause problems.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Thanks, I will continue to look into this and report back.
        90 325i DD/Track
        03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
        It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Both my fuel and temp gauge died suddenly, oil pressure light also dead at the same time. Speedo and tach works fine. Any ideas? Not a single movement when turning the ign on / off

Comment

Ah, it also seems my reversing light stopped working at the same time also

Comment

Everything's fine now, blown fuse #10

Comment

Working...
              X