Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leak in the worst possible place. How to fix without removing head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak in the worst possible place. How to fix without removing head?

Hey guys, replaced headgasket and now after all that work I have a leak from the little metal plate that goes on to the side of the M30 head (I believe it's where camshafts are removed). Is there ANY way to fix this without removing the head. Again. Drastic ideas welcome.
    Attached Files
    Celebrating 30 years.
    1986 E30 Coupe, assembled in Munich, West Germany, 7/7/86. M10 5 Speed cruisin' through time and space

Try this, it isnt a guarantee, but it wouldnt hurt anything either. It's 6 M10 bolts on the back and they aren't deep or hard to get to using a box end wrench.

1. Prop up engine with jack using a block of wood or a method of your choice

2. Slightly loosen transmission bushings

3. loosen subframe bolts

4. slowly lower jack until the gap between the firewall and engine are achieved. This should be minimal, it looks like you only need roughly a half inch, maybe a little more in order to fit a box wrench back there.

The engine will naturally tilt forward slightly, please watch for radiator clearance, and checking before hand for possible pinch is smart. Using a jack as a support feature is not reccomended as I'm sure you know.. use this method at your own risk.

Comment

Assuming you're doing the paper gasket, don't forget the little rubber washer gasket also.

Comment

You could also try removing as much of the sound deadening as possible to gain a bit more clearance.

Comment

Ratcheting box 10mm.

Loose trans mounts, jack trans up. Should give enough clearance.

NOTE which bolt has the washer on it and make 100% sure you replace it on that bolt with that very washer. Otherwise you'll be back to fixing a leak there again.

Assuming you replaced that duck gasket when you did the head gasket....you possibly thought the washer inconsequential.
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

We used permatex on that part though. My friend who is a E30 enthusiast and mechanic reckons it's actually coming from the rocker cover gasket. God I hope he's right.
            Celebrating 30 years.
            1986 E30 Coupe, assembled in Munich, West Germany, 7/7/86. M10 5 Speed cruisin' through time and space

Comment

Working...
            X