No announcement yet.

Simple sedan build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close... super close to turning the key.

Engine coolant lines hooked up including a Euro E36 M3 expansion tank hard line, heater hoses (cut down some euro E36 M3 hoses), fuel lines and power steering is all connected. Euro oil cooler lines are super close to the ps pump pulley and needed some massaging for about 3/8 inch clearance.

Also went with a E36 325 ps cooler line and there is just no room for it between the Z3 rack and E34 oil pan. I worked it quite a bit to get it to fit but lost the mounting bracket in the process. I will probably work on finding a better part down the road.

Fit the charcoal cannister right behind the drivers motor mount and made for easy fuel line hookup. Hard line was fitted to the clutch master cylinder so we filled all fluids.

Cut and welded my headers to provide more clearance and tighter fit to the body right after the subframe. I had 3 inch of ground clearance and now have close to 5 as they sit quite a bit higher than the E34 oil pan.

Worked on wiring today before the game....

Pics on status

Comment

No comments needed today

http://vid72.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5sevojx7.mp4

Comment

Congrats on getting it running!

I didn't see this thread until now. Subscribing so I can read it in full later. I'm glad you took so many pics, there's a few things I've wanted to see that I haven't been able to, such as the Z3M radiator/cooler setup and late model fuel tank all cleaned up. I think I want to convert to the late style tank/pump, so I was curious what lines run across the tank and how it's set up.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Will post a more complete update later with the details on bringing it closer to completion....

Today was a big day... I backed it out of the garage on it own power. So this is first drive photo here.

I just dropped it off to get a full alignment. I had my dad follow me as this thing is loud with no exhaust and open headers! :devil:

I can fully appreciate those with swap cars that comment it runs but I still have some items to work out. My list remains:

Install and complete the exhaust
          Install reverse switch wiring
          Install brake and coolant reservoir wiring harness extensions
          Clean up DME wiring and install under dash
          Headliner and new front windshield install
          and before it gets smoking hot in Texas... get AC up and running

I can't wait to ring its throat next week. I have a bit of a vibration and I think the header is still buzzing the subframe or swaybar a bit so have not taken it above 2500 rpm. I had 3/8 of clearance but that is when not running. I will let the exhaust shop resolve it when they fab the connectors to the euro cat section and back box.

Till next time,
          Greg

Comment

What an awesome build. So much quality work. Congratulations.
            Instagram
            sigpic
            Current: 99 M3
            Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
              What an awesome build. So much quality work. Congratulations.
              Thanks! I have been thrown so many curves on this project I am really glad that it is finally coming to completion.

So this morning was able to get a bit of time and got it loaded and off to the exhaust shop this morning.... will be working to install as much of the E36 Euro 3.2 factory exhaust. Will be interested to see how the motor responds to running with O2 sensors hooked up for the first time this weekend.

So glad I did not install the IS front lip and Ryan G splitter yet.... there is no way I could have loaded it onto the trailer with them installed. Snapped a pic before making the final roll out of the neighborhood.

Comment

amazing build and your attention to detail is like no other. I also now have many ideas that I would like to apply to my sedan. great work and congrats on getting it running!
                '87 BMW 325i - ground control c/o, condor bushings, 16x8/16x9 wheels - SOLD

'09 MazdaSpeed 3 - FOR SALE

Comment

Wow, this is amazing! Very much on target with plans for my 1990 2 door Sterling Silver e30. Stock color repaint, throwing stars, tall meaty tires to fill the wheel gap but keep it high enough off the ground to not worry about scraping, refurbished suspension and interior...

Nice to see the end result and know how good it looks!
                  2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
                  1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
                  1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Originally posted by lemansguy View Post
                    amazing build and your attention to detail is like no other. I also now have many ideas that I would like to apply to my sedan. great work and congrats on getting it running!
                    Originally posted by dadsbmw View Post
                    Wow, this is amazing! Very much on target with plans for my 1990 2 door Sterling Silver e30. Stock color repaint, throwing stars, tall meaty tires to fill the wheel gap but keep it high enough off the ground to not worry about scraping, refurbished suspension and interior...

Nice to see the end result and know how good it looks!
                    Thanks guys.

Now that it is up and running I have been working out some minor kinks.

It did have a very bad rough idle and late last week finally located the source of most of it. Cylinder 5 and 6 fuel injector electrical harness was not fully connected. After spending hours double checking my work it was finally pulling the way it should above 3 grand.

Still have a minor miss or hiccup but car shows no codes. None. So will have to do some parts swapping and plan to do a full coil swap from my M5 to see if I have a weak or bad coil or the injectors need service.

Also need to get the passenger rear inner fender lip rolled just a bit as it rubs a bit under compression when going over 50 mph.

Then I get the fun project of flipping the RHD harness to left so I can get the DME above the glovebox and put the remainder of the dash and console back together. Man I look foward to that one.

Comment

Updates on this?

Comment

just lovely man...
                        i just finished up all new paint, glasurit, glacier blue and all new exterior trim etc... she looks sweet...
                        thanks for the inspiration... still working on the interior...
                        i have one question for you... how the fuck do you get the lock barrel back into the passenger door????
                        there are no access points... its a nightmare... any insight there??

thanks
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        '90 325i sedan daily driven
                        '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                          Updates on this?
                          I need to do a post of all the nits that I have worked out over the past 6 plus months. Once we get through February at work I should be able to devote a day or two on getting the final bits of the interior all finished out and get the AC running. Those are the final big items remaining.

Originally posted by chefpeterlevine View Post
                          just lovely man...
                          i just finished up all new paint, glasurit, glacier blue and all new exterior trim etc... she looks sweet...
                          thanks for the inspiration... still working on the interior...
                          i have one question for you... how the fuck do you get the lock barrel back into the passenger door????
                          there are no access points... its a nightmare... any insight there??

thanks
                          IIRC I had the door liners, window and door handle removed when I did it so I had lots of sources of access.

Comment

Hurry up! :) Just kidding.

I've been a secret fan of this car for a while though due to it being similar to my own.

Great job on the attention to detail! Should be a great one when it's done. The a/c isn't to bad btw. Just a hodge podge of parts. Some e30, some e36 and some custom.
                            Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Working...
                            X